Which one is better?

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Which one is better?

New postby eddi3wh0 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 pm

NEWBIE here, I'm trying to get back into sewing but I'm stuck between two machines; the Brother XL-2600i and the Brother LX-3125. These two are both in my price range as I can get them for under $80 but not sure which is better or if there is anything else out there that's better and under my price range through ebay and such; I've added the links to these two machines for your convenience.

I figured that the LX is better because you can adjust stitch length and width but the XL has been rated as the best one most people get, but I don't know which one can handle heavier fabrics better like jeans. I mostly plan on using this machine to do repairs and and make some cloths with my old patterns. Any recommendation? :)

http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewing/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=XL2600i
http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewing/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=LX3125&tab=spec
eddi3wh0

Re: Which one is better?

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:28 pm

The XL-2600i has more sewing options with less frustration based on what was written in your links. The LX3125 is very lightweight & I don't think it would hold up to sewing jeans or any heavy fabrics. Just my personal opinion. I would look for a vintage machine if I were in your shoes. Most of them, with cleaning & service, will hold up to heavy duty sewing. This is just my personal opinion.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Are you able to test drive either machine?? If so, I'd try with different types of fabric, check the ease of changing needles, feet, etc as I have one machine that is next to impossible to change the needle or feet on, there is just no room to get your hands in there.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby eddi3wh0 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

I guess I'll just have to buy both of them and test drive which ever one can do the job; I have my eye on the 2600i btw. Is there any other materials I should test the machine on besides jeans? I'm dying for cloths that will fit me since I have a small frame, 5'3.

Oh and what do you think about refurbished sewing machines? I see a really expensive one going for cheap but it's refurbished.
eddi3wh0

New postby lendube on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi and welcome! I think refurbished is fine but you have to be careful by whom it was refurbished. Make sure it's a tech that's been certified by the manufacturer. Ask for credentials if it's not a well known reputable dealer.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:58 pm

I'd suggest you check with some sewing machine dealers in your area. They will often have machines that have been traded in and you might find a better quality machine for the same price...especially if you plan on buying both. Going through a dealer will often be better because they will service the machine and you have someone to go to for help and advice. Just my opinion.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:02 pm

I have a Simplicity sewing machine that I bought new because it was in my price range. I did not research when I bought it many years ago. It had some problems occasionaly/ the belt slipped a lot. 2-3 years ago I bought a second hand Janome Memory Craft 5000 embroidery machine. I paid $200 for it. It is a great machine but it wont sew through 6 layers of dinim. I pulled out the old Simplicity recently and it stitched through 6 layers of denim with a # 18 needle. The belt still slips a lot. I had it serviced and gave it to 9 year old Chloe. I am just saying that you should buy the best machine you can afford and research before you spend. I wish you many years of happy sewing.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 am

That is so true. It's like anything, you pay more for better quality. You can buy a car for a couple of hundred dollars or you can spend a couple of thousand, and it's a big difference in what you can get. If you can get a machine at a dealership, you get free lessons, support, and service, where if you go to Wallyworld or somewhere like that, you are totally on your own. If something goes wrong, they won't deal with it, but you will have to send it to the manufacturer, or find a dealer who will look at it, maybe. Good luck with your search! Let us know what you decide to do.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm

For 2 very important reasons (to me ) , anyway, I would choose the 2600 .. It makes an automatic buttonhole in 1 step. Important to making blouses and dresses.. The second reason is sewing thru layers of heavier fabrics such as denim.. Take the regular machine, not a lightweight. The other would be great to carry to classes or such. It only weighs 15 pounds. That is what my featherweight portable weighs and I take it to class always when we need it. My Janome is too heavy to cart around and I have a problem remembering how to do the 1 step buttonhole on it. My FW has the old timey buttopnhole attachment. screw it on , and make a buttonhole, and thats all there is to it.. You need to have easy to make buttonholes to make wearable clothes, of course. I think that is a very important part of your decision to make.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:31 am

I, too, would go with the machine that has the automatic 1-step buttonholer if you're going to do any garment sewing at all. What other people have said about spending more getting you more is true. However, if you're not sure how much sewing you're going to do be doing, I think a cheaper (but still quality) machine is better. If you get more in to sewing, you can always sell this one and upgrade, if needed. Yay for sewing!
SmilieFace

Return to Sewing Machines