Brother 1500s

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Brother 1500s

New postby Upholsteress on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Ladies... I need your opinions please. I am going to be adding Slipcovers to my biz... and have been told this machine is a very good portable yet heavy and fast machine to use. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks!
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

Re: Brother 1500s

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Cheryl, I'm not a fan of Brother products because they are very plastic. Others I know like them but I think you would be happier with one of the older vintage machines (circa 1960-65) like a Kenmore, Singer, Elna, or Pfaff. Check out some of the Vintage yahoo sewing machine groups for specific model numbers.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 pm

I have a Brother 1500S and love it. I got it mainly for machine quilting but find myself using it for most other projects as well. I got so used to it's speed that I use it most of the time now until I need something besides a straight stitch. The extra space the long arm gives is wonderful for lots of things besides quilting. It has an extension table that came with it. It's a HEAVY machine so it's more stable when sewing large projects. I know lots of people don't like Brother machines, but I absolutely love this one. I would love to have a higher end brand, but this one fit my budget for the features I wanted. I've had it for about 4 years, I think.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby Upholsteress on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14 am

I need speed, heavy duty and portability. This one come highly recommended for those reasons. I have other Brother machines and have been happy and no doubt, would be happier if it were all metal.. but I know that isn;t going to happen.

Thanks gals for your input. I will be doing more research over the weekend. :) Happy Resurrection Day to all!!
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby bridesmom on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Sounds like it may be an interesting machine to check out. I'd like a mid-long arm for quilting. This peaks my interest!

Like I need another machine......
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Sewing Machines