Check out my new addition.

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: Check out my new addition.

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Lennie, just thought that you would like to know that many consider the Singer 401 as one of the best sewing machines ever made by Singer. You have true gem & treasure there. Hope that you are really enjoying it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:25 am

So far, so good, Marty. I got a diff. foot with it and a zipper foot. The machine purrs like a kitten and I'm loving it the few times I've used it. Should get some use today. I saw what you did through the research I did on the machine. I was also very surprised to see that it certainly wasn't a run of the mill machine back when it was made in 1958. It retailed for (in today's dollars) about $2000.00. Weren't houses somthing like $12,000 to $25,000 for a modest abode in those days................... :shock:

There are plenty out there too. Not rare by any stretch apparently. Thanks for asking. Maybe Marty would like one too??? :applause:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:34 am

I would definitely love one if I had room to house another machine. I recently let go of 2 of my vintage machines. My "Greyhound Lightening" circa 1920-1930 & my Kenmore circa 1968. I donated them to a shelter that works with refugees in teaching them life skills. It was hard to part with them but I had no room to set them up & use them. They were just collecting dust & I didn't have any emotional attachment to them other than loving vintage machines. I have 3 sewing machines now plus my serger. My DD has 2 sewing machines also. These machines reside in my living/family/dining area as I have no sewing room.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

What better place for them Marty! After all, they are furniture.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Lyncat on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Your 401a is beautiful and I know you'll enjoy using it. I have a 1956 401a that I got from an elderly cousin and it's just wonderful. Congratulations. You did well.
Lyncat

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 am

This is exactly the machine I use for all my sewing. The first machine I ever bought was a 404 in a cabinet, gave $3 for it at an estate auction thinking it was a nice little table and we needed furniture. Didn't know it was a sewing machine until I went to load it in the van. It sat un-used for quite some time as I didn't sew back then.

When I started sewing, I found my 401A in an ad in the paper. I gave $85 for it back in the late 90s if I remember correctly. Since Joe knows about machines, he knew it was a bargain at that price. It sews like a dream. I even have a large "scrap" that shows all the settings and what stitch they make from the previous owner.

In all the moves we've made over the years, this machine has always been set up and ready to go. It is definetly a work horse and I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby lendube on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 pm

I do love the machine and belong to the Yahoo group for the Slant Needle models. I just lurk though. So far the only drawback I've noticed is that when I use different colored threads in the bobbin and the needle the bobbin thread pulls up and shows on the top. I'm sure it's just a matter of tension but I haven't messed with it yet. If I come across a cabinet in decent shape for not much I'll probably pick it up. I DON'T need more furniture in my sewing room but I could find a space for it (sacrificing one shelf for fabric). I look at Craig's from time to time but not too seriously.
Lennie

lendube

New postby sewingmom on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:45 am

Linnie,your new machine is a beauty. I had one similar, years ago and I sewed denim backpacks and jeans with it. My dgs gave me one just like yours that he bought in a yard sale for $ 2.00. It is in terrible condition but may still sew. I havn't been able to try it out yet but I may be able to help you with some parts if mine wont work. I think I have the 2 cams it is supposed to have and I know I have the slant o matic Buttonhole attachment for it. I'll let you know later If I am going to part with them. I remember that the botton holer makes the very best buttonholes.
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 am

That's such a generous offer and I'd love to take you up on it and pay more than $2.00 for the parts but you should hang on to them in case you end up with a 401 some day. Very sweet of you.
Lennie

lendube

Previous

Return to Sewing Machines