A sewing room w/out a machine is a sad sight :(

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

A sewing room w/out a machine is a sad sight :(

New postby lendube on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Took my machine in today and it'll be gone for 2 weeks or so. Just needs a tune-up. It sure does get a work out. The embroidery unit has never been looked at and I also thought to ask the guy to check out the pedal to make sure the connections were secure.

Jeez, what makes the empolyees so smug and snooty in these places? As some of you might know I'm on an off and on search for a heavy duty machine. I found one on this place's website and asked about it. The lady asked me what I needed it for. I told her and she just went on and on about how unhappy I'd be with that particular model (for $299.00) and that I'd absolutely need this other particular model (for $849.00). I asked why the many, many reviews I read about the cheaper model were so overwhelmingly good. She talked in circles. The only point she made again and again was that the expensive one had a foot that raised to sew more layers. Now, I've no doubt that the more expensive one is a better machine but I'm not sure that the cheaper one wouldn't be perfectly fine for me. I would have bought the cheaper one on the spot but I was embarrassed to after the attitude I received from the lady. I might still order it online, free shipping, if I can be sure that they'll take it back if I don't like it. :( :x
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: A sewing room w/out a machine is a sad sight :(

New postby Debby215 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Unfortunately Lennie, it sounds like that person might work on commission and was only looking to make a bigger sale. That is the one thing I am worried about when I do find a dealer that I like to begin my sewing machine search, all I want is someone to answer my questions, not try and talk me into something I may never need...JMO Good luck with your decision and let us know what you chose!
Debby
So much fabric....... So little time!!
Debby215

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 pm

That always irritates me & I tend not to purchase from someone who acts like. Usually, I ask them point blank why are they carrying a machine if it is not a good one. You would be surprised at how they backtrack. Sewing machine dealers pick & choose which models they sell in their store. I then tell them that if they don't have faith in their product neither do I & I leave without purchasing anything. It's only happened to me on 3 occasions in my lifetime. You did the right thing.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 pm

I guess its bad manners, but I ask if they are paid comissions if they start with that snooty attitude about higher priced items of any sort.. I then tell them I want concrete reasons for the price difference and most of the time , it will be 1 item of difference, and usually its one I don't want or won't use anyway.. Just like the other day someone said they could not live without a knee operated presser foot lifter.. That is crazy ! ! Yes, it might be nice to have, but anyone can live without it.. I don't want it badly enough to pay the price for it, and besides, I can't afford it anyway ! ! LOL
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Sancin on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 pm

I always get a giggle when I think about commission sales people and I also always ask. I found out about commission sales at 17 years of age. A girl friend and I were shopping for a prom dress and the salesperson told me such and such a dress looked beautiful on me. She said it matched my eyes so well. My girlfriend grabbed my arm said we had to go. Out of the store she told me about commission sales and said she knew the salesperson worked on commission when she said the dressed matched my eyes. I have very dark brown eyes and the dress was blue! :roll:
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby plrlegal on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Actually, you are right! I have a knee lift with my current Pfaff and I had one with the 2056 and I never used either one of them a my presser feet are controlled with the foot pedal so I've never seen a need for the knee lift and it hangs on my peg board in my way.

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

New postby bridesmom on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Marty I love your response! I may have to memorize that!!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am

Well if I would have asked her that question I'm sure she would have just said that it would be fine for other folks but not for what I wanted to do specifically. She never said that it was a bad machine, just that I wouldn't be happy with it because it wouldn't do what I needed.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Return to Sewing Machines