Seriously looking for that NEW machine!

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Seriously looking for that NEW machine!

New postby Debby215 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:32 pm

If any of you would be willing to think and let me know what your favorite sewing machine is brand, model, etc and why? I am seriously starting to look for my first GOOD sewing machine. I wouldn't mind one that COULD embroider, but not exclusively. I would like one with a longer arm base, maybe to finally learn how to machine quilt? Thanks in advance anyone that can give me some feedback!
Debby
So much fabric....... So little time!!
Debby215

Re: Seriously looking for that NEW machine!

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Debby, I have a Pfaff 7570 that I love. It's about 10 yrs old & is one of the last German made Pfaff sewing machines which are known for their tight tolerances & precision in stitching. It has a 4x4 embroidery unit. The software is outdated but I use Embird with a Vikant Box to transfer embroidery designs. If I were going to buy a new machine today, I would look at the Babylock Ellegante 2 or the Ellageo unless you want to go to the TOL, the Ellisimo. They are very user friendly & several friends that I know love their Babylock machines.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby plrlegal on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:54 am

Debbie, I have the new Pfaff Expession 4.0 which has the 10" throat. Moving fairly large quilts and large pieces of fabric around in this machine is relatively easy. However, I will have to say that the drop in bobbin case leaves a little bit to be desired as it is all plastic and, in my opinion, not very sturdy. It does sew very nice, however, and has, of course, the built in IDF (built in walking foot) which is totally indispensible, as far as I'm concerned. It also has 222 built in utility/quilting/embroidery designs. It is a very heavy machine and dh had to buy me a bigger travel case for it but I am enjoying it immensely. It is a rather pricey machine (mine was a little under $3,000) but I think they have come down in price a little. Good luck in finding the machine that is right for you. You should look around your specific area and see what is available as far as dealerships and then go take a look at what they offer and start trying out the new machines on the market. My advice is not to order one online or from someone that does not offer good service and warranty backup. There is probably not a lot wrong with machines you order online but, when it comes to repair and/or service, you have to ship them back to the point of original purchase or where otherwise instructed.

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

New postby DorothyL on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:40 am

Like Marty I have an older Pfaff mechanical. It was made in Germany. Mine is a pretty basic model that doesn't do much but sew, though. But it will sew through anything. It is my workhorse. I love that extra foot Pfaff used to put on everything. I don't know if they still do or if they put it on an embroidery machine.
But I believe most people love their machines and I think there is less difference between brands as there is between models (and prices). The big thing is the dealership, I think. That is what you really have to shop for. The one you decide on will help you find the best machine for you.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Here_Fishey on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 am

Shop for your dealer first, and the machine second. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold. That said, I love my Husqvarna/Viking sewing machines.
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

I agree with everyone else about finding the dealer first. You want one that you like and as close as possible to cut down on drives for servicing, questions, etc. And whether they give you lessons on how to use the machine. When I bought mine (no embroidery features), I could have as many 1 hour lessons as I wanted to learn how to use the machine. If you want to do FM quilting, you need these...needle up-down, speed control and an extension table or a cabinet so you have a large flat surface. Darning foot and walking foot too.

BTW, I've have a Janome MC 6500P since 2004 and still love it. I had a Kenmore beforehand which I passed onto my sister. I have since bought another Kenmore which has 50 fancy stitches, speed control and needle up/down to take to classes and guild activities. I love the fact that I can swap the feet and bobbins between the Janome and Kenmore.

Good luck!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:05 am

I have 2 Viking machines and love them both. The newest one is one of the lily models and was made for quilting. I don't quilt but liked the stitches, the one step buttonhole, size, ease of use, the way it stitches and the fact that it was a Viking. My oldest machine is 40yrs old and still runs like a champ. I liked my dealer here and had purchased my White serger from him also. Unfortunately he has retired and sold his store. All we have for service now is a Brother dealer. I've been in to talk to him several times and just don't care for him. To me if he doesn't know the machines he is selling he sure won't get my business. I'll have to go nearly 80 miles now to a Viking dealer. :cry:
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingmom on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:04 am

Mine is a Janome Memorycraft 6600. I've had it a year and havn't been able to trip it up yet. I've made purses and sewn sheer garments and spandex. It handles them all equally well. The built in walking foot is wonderful. I have never owned anything of higher quality so have nothing to compare to to advise you.
sewingmom

New postby StitchNTime on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:40 am

I love my BabyLock Elegante II...it does everything and does it well. I have zero negative input about the machine...I fall in love with it a little more every time I use it. I'm in agreement with finding your dealer first. You need one you can depend on and work with...happy hunting.

oxo
StitchNTime

New postby lendube on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:47 am

Debby, My first "good" machine was/is my Viking and I've really enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to get another. I now have a Viking serger as well which is brand new and seems really well made and easy to use. My previous serger was a Babyloc and I wouldn't hesitate to get another Babyloc machine either. I highly recommend both brands.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Next

Return to Sewing Machines