hi breaking threads

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

hi breaking threads

New postby sewlj on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi, I have recently started using a Pfaff Grand Quilter with an Inspira quilting frame. I am an intermediate quilter and used to using sewing machines but I find that the thread keeps breaking on the machine. I have adjusted the tension up to 3 and changed everything about the rest of the machine, thread, bobbin, needle, oil. What am I missing?
sewlj

Re: hi breaking threads

New postby dmoses on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:00 pm

If it happens on my sewing machine, my first check is to see whether or not the thread is getting caught on something along the thread path. If it's my serger, the problem is usually incorrect threading. I wish I could help, but I know nothing about quilting machines. Hope you figure it out soon. :)
Take care,
Donna
dmoses

New postby SheliaHC on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Welcome to the group. When I have trouble with this kind of thing I normally walk away for a while and then start over with tension, threading, new bobbin and most of the time it fixes itself. Good luck!

Shelia
SheliaHC

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Have you tried a different thread?? It may just be that particular spool. I also have found on occasion that it's my needle that causes the breaking. One other thing is the thread coming off the spool easily? I have changed my thread position, I don't put it on the machine spool holder, but put it onto the thread holder that sits on the table behind my machine, same one I use for embroidery thread, seems to help especially when freemotioning.

PS Welcome!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Sewing Machines