Machine for children

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Machine for children

New postby ninifav on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Forgive me for not navigating the search engine better; but my DD is looking to get a sewing machine for my 11 yo dgd...She found a Brother XR9000 on overstock.com for $150.00...Do any of you have any suggestions...thanks...Paula
Paula
ninifav

Re: Machine for children

New postby sewingmom on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:26 am

I'm wondering if a little old featherweight might be a better buy. I really do not know about the Brother.
sewingmom

New postby DorothyL on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 am

I used a low end brother for quite a while and loved it. I eventually gave it to a local youth center because I didn't use it after I got a fancier machine. It was still in good working order when I gave it to them. But it was several years ago and I don't know if they made them better at that time.
The one I had would be a great learning machine.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby kaitlinnegan on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:32 am

I haven't heard anything about this particular model, but it does seem like a nice one, especially for a kid. It seems like the bells and whistles might be good for a young sewist, especially at that age. She might have a lot of fun with the monogramming function. One-step buttonholes are a great feature too. Before buying, I would look for some reviews on PatternReview or on Amazon (but take those Amazon reviews with a grain of salt - some people are just idiots!), but it definitely looks like a good buy!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby ninifav on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:19 pm

thanks to all of you...kaitelin...laughing at your discription of the Amazon reviews!!
Paula
ninifav

New postby bridesmom on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Question, how young is too young to buy a machine for a child?? My 4 yr old DGD keeps asking for a machine, but I think she is too young yet, but how old until I can get her one??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:01 am

Laura, I agree that 4 is too young. DD started sewing on my lap about then, and she wasn't allowed to touch the machine by herself. Her attention span was very, very short (less than 5 minutes). I would say depending upon the child, and how careful they are, and how much they are already sewing, around 8 years old, and that is definately on the young side. Most kids would probably be older. Unfortunately, it can be very tedious to to a project all by one's self from start to finish, and they need the supervision and encouragement of someone more experienced.
Theresa
temom

New postby DorothyL on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:47 am

At four she might be interested in some hand sewing. You have to learn that first anyway, right?
maybe you could get a large tapestry needle, some yarn and some plastic canvas or small count (large holes) needlepoint canvas. You could encourage her interest with out a sewing machine.
When my oldest was that age she would make all my yarn balls. Then, after she went to bed I would re-roll them.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:04 pm

LOL! Sounds like something I'd do!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby Chrysantha on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm

My grandmother started teaching me sewing when I was 5...but I was in 1st grade and bit more 'mature' than the average person....I'd say to wait till she's in school to see if she's still interested.
She could always sit on your lap and help you with things...small projects...
Chrysantha

Next

Return to Sewing Machines