got a problem

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

got a problem

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:50 pm

I have a Singer HD110. I was getting ready to sew on my MOB dress & noticed some lint in the bobbin case. I took out the case & cleaned all the lint. Now the needle hits the metal under the bobbin case when ever I try to turn the handwheel forward. Any suggestions besides the repair shop. I do have another machine I can use for now but don't have money to take it in to the shop right now!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

Re: got a problem

New postby sewingmom on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:05 pm

My Janome does the same thing when I don't have the presser foot lowered out of the highest setting. I have had it happen a couple of other times. Each incident was due to something I have overlooked. I have learned to unthread the machine and redo whatever it is that I just did. I sometimes have to backtrack more than once and even leave the machine for a while and come back to it later. I usually find my error and can move on feeling a little aggrivated with myself.
sewingmom

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:09 pm

I will go try the presser foot.
That didn't work! I don't have a bobbin in or the needle threaded because I don't want to get any thread knots if it isn't working. I am just turning the wheel by hand so I don't break the needle.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Check that the needle is inserted properly or isn't loose. That's what happened to me while I was sewing.... :cry:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:26 pm

I will double check but I did take it out & put it back twice!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Sancin on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Is the bobbin case seated properly? Will the bobbin move if you turn the wheel when there is no needle inserted?
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:17 pm

Everything works fine with no needle. when I put the needle in it hits the metal under the bobbin case about 1/4" before the hole it is supposed to go in.
Thanks for all the suggestions I will try almost anything right now!
I did get the bodice attatched to the dress with my other machine. It kept breaking thread & then I found a spot I missed when threading( I haven't used it in a while) now it works great. I need to go in & try the invisable zipper but am afraid to do it on the dress until I test one with scrap. I think I have an extra zipper in my stash.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Sewing Lady on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 pm

I know that this sounds sorta just do it (I've been watching Project Runway reruns) but, try another needle. You might not have it pushed up high enough in the needle seat. If that doesn't fix it, try a little oil in the bobbin case. If that doesn't work, I fear that you may need to go to the repair guy.

These are all the things that I do before I reset the timing on my machine. I hate when this happens. Do try, if your machine can be oiled, to use oil in the bobbin case.

Goos Luck.

L
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm

It says not to put oil in the bobbin case area. All the oiling is done at the top. I will try a different needle.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby sewingmom on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Is it possible to put the coverplate on backward or not quiet on all the way? It sounds like the hole is shifted over and not lined up right.
sewingmom

Next

Return to Sewing Machines