Looking for a new sewing machine SOON

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Looking for a new sewing machine SOON

New postby Debby215 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 am

I would like to ask for some suggestions on a GOOD sewing machine for quilting, possibly some alphabet embroidery. I don't want a strictly embroidery machine. :pray: I don't want to spend more than about 1500 dollars. I know there are machines out there for less. I want your suggestions on favorite brands etc. Thanks in advance for any input you can share!
Debby
So much fabric....... So little time!!
Debby215

Re: Looking for a new sewing machine SOON

New postby lendube on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am

How exciting, Debby! All I can tell you is that I love my Viking and they absolutely have good machines in that price range. Be sure and look online at the many sites that have consumer reviews. I've always found that helpful. Good luck and I am excited for you!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Debby215 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks Lennie, actually Viking is what I was looking at, but still in the looking stages. I am SO SO excited I can't even stand it and want to make sure I do my research, as I don't want anyone to talk me into something that I won't like! :hand:
Debby
Debby215

New postby Debby215 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am

Lennie I meant to ask you, what Viking do you have? :doh:
Debby
Debby215

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Debby...definitely do your homework. That is what I did back when I bought my machine. If you are planning on doing machine quilting, especially free motion, then you will want to make sure it has a speed control and a needle up and down button. When I was looking back in 2005, the walking foot, free motion/darning foot and a quilting table came with some models or would cost extra with others. I think a lot of the machines that are considered quilting machines usually have those included now but you never know. And the newer machines classed as quilting machines have the larger harp...definitely a plus if machine quilting. I went to all the dealers that were within a reasonable driving distance from me...Pfaff, Bernina and Janome. I decided on the Janome MC 6500P because I got more features for my money...including the larger harp...and haven't regretted it.

Good luck in your shopping. Let us know what you get.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Debby215 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:25 pm

Just wanted to bump this up a bit!
Debby
Debby215

New postby vickki on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Good luck on your new search..
vickki

New postby lendube on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Glad you bumped it up, Debby. Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you.

I have a Viking Embroidery (and reg.) machine that debuted in 1994, the #1+(2500 model). I got a terrific deal back in 2004 on it. It had only been used a handful of times and was good as new. The model was replaced as the top of the line somewhere around 2004 or so. I love it to pieces and as you might have read in a post a couple of days ago it's almost extinct as the parts will shortly become no longer available. So in view of that I sure wouldn't be looking for a used one of this model although it's a wonderful machine that I hope lasts me several more years.

It has also (along with many other folk's opinions) cemented my opinion that Viking is a very, very good reliable machine. Do you know that Viking/Husqvarna is also very reputable as a chainsaw and motorcycle manufacturer. I read on their website that the company actually started somewhere back in the 1400's or so as metal fabricators of the gates and ironwork around castles. From that to sewing machines. Go figure. :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:31 pm

My advice for what it's worth, is obviously you want a dealer who is close to you so you don't have to drive hours to get your machine serviced. Then I'd make a list of what the dealers near me sell, and work from that. I'd visit the dealers and test drive and ask questions, and I wouldn't buy unless I really liked the dealer cause you will have to deal with them for a while and if you hate the dealer but love the machine, it's going to be a stressful relationship! I really like my dealer, but she is a good hour away and that's frustrating. But if I do ever buy another machine I will deal with the Husquvarna dealer in town. My MIL bought a machine from them and I have been back quite a few times and find them very helpful with the machines, and fabric and notions, and offer great classes. BTW I own a Pfaff (old one) that I love and a Brother Innovis which I like alot. I would have bought another Pfaff but I really really was disappointed in the sales woman's attitude, and so it ended up being the Brother, cause the people were just so wonderful and helpful. They always remember my name which impresses me too.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Sewing Machines