Help with Singer 237 ma model

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Help with Singer 237 ma model

New postby Looloo on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:06 am

OK, I got a sewing machine for free from someone who had this just sitting around... I already had a sewing machine but its not working, and didnt want to bother with fixing it, AGAIN (its a Necchi, not sure what kind, says heavy duty) ... SO I thought maybe with more ease I could get this Singer working.

SO this is what I am wondering, get the Necchi fixed or the singer... and am I able to fix them on my own?

The deal with the Necchi is when I go to sew, the two threads never catch... something to do with the tension maybe. I know the motor and the belt are good, because that is what was replaced. As well as the man at the repair shop completely taking it apart and making sure everything was good. It was fixed in December for over 80 bucks and now, August it isnt working!! Frustrating!

And then there is this Singer. I fixed the lever that pull the foot up and down because it was stuck in the up position. But now that I put it all together when I go to sew, the needle goes down and hits where the bobbin case is and gets stopped... it wont do a complete turn through, where the needle goes down and just when its going to come back up it cant because it cant go completely down, not sure if I am explaining it right.

Well any tips or advise would be extremely helpful. Also anyone know what they are worth?

The Necchi doesnt say where it is made, but it has a serial number on it. I got it from my grandmother, and I think she said she got it either from her mother or as a wedding gift, I forgot.

ANd the Singer says on it "The Singer Company" Made in Italy, Model 237 M-A
Looloo

Re: Help with Singer 237 ma model

New postby Looloo on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:02 am

OK, so I got the Singer working, I found a screw that was loose near the top and it was stopping it from completely turning... so we are good there, now the question still remains, keep the Singer, or fix the Necchi? I believe that both are very similar in sewing functions....
Looloo

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 am

Both are good machines. You can Google the serial number on the Singer to get more info or check Sew-Classic's site

The Singer will be much easier to find parts, power cords, manuals, etc for as machines from that time frame were made to last and last and last. Alot of people don't recogize the Necchi brand when they find it in the attic, closet, basement, etc and toss the machines out esp if they aren't working. More often than not, a machine that been sitting needs "deep
" cleaned, oiled, new needle, etc for it to work properly and they think "it's old junk, toss it". Time and time again we are asked about a machine someone found somewhere that doesn't work. Joe will take it apart and do all the cleaning/adjustments and it works just fine.

Why not keep both? If you do, stick a note in the one in storage stating what was done to it when and by who and/or what it does/doesn't do when you use it, maybe even where you got it from (grandma or Great Aunt Marge)....someone down the line may want it or be willing to invest some cash to have a machine from a long gone family member.

I have no idea what either one is worth and Joe is at work (he's been doing machine cleaning/repair for 20 years or so).

Hope that helps you some, Sew-classic may also pop in and reply and is more knowledgeable than I am (I leave all that up to Joe, I just like to sew).

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Looloo on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:36 am

Very good Idea, since neither I had to buy and was given both, I will probably keep both... I'm a pack rat anyways! lol
Looloo

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 pm

Years ago my MIL had a Necchi and that was a fantastic machine.. She loved it and it did several types of stitches and my Singer 221 was only a straight stitch .. This was in 60 and early 70's... That necchi machine was a marvelous machine.. I don't recall what she ever did with it.. I think her daughter took it home with her on one of her visits to our fair city.. (She was good at "borrowing things" and never bringing them back to her mother)
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Sew-Classic on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:32 am

What is the model name/number of the Necchi that isn't picking up the thread??
Sew-Classic

New postby sewingmom on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:10 am

My mother always commented that Nechhi mchines were very good machines. She didn't own one. I think my grandmother did. We sewed on it when we visited with her as kids.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:59 am

When I posted the other day, I could not think of the 2nd part of the company name, it was Necchi--Elna.. Those were really reputed to be very good machines here..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Sew-Classic on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:45 am

Well...the earlier Necchi's made prior to about 1960 that were made in itally are the best of the nNecchi lot IMHO. Later, non-metla parts prone to failure where used, and then the "necchi" name was sold and production outsourced to plants in Japan and Taiwan. These later machines just weren't as good as the older ones. That's why I inquired about the model information for the Necchi.
Sew-Classic

Return to Sewing Machines