Time for the repair shop

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Time for the repair shop

New postby temom on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:19 pm

So today I sit down to stitch some decorative stitches on a friend's pillowcases. I had done lots of test samples, and yesterday I received the pillowcases. 2 were a blend, 2 all cotton. She had bought thread for me, 100% cotton.

The first pillowcase I stitched (diamonds) using a decorative stitch that is a double stitch, on the hem, with 4 layers of water soluble stabilizer. When I finished, I noticed a little bit of puckering. I washed the stabilizer out, and found a lot of puckering!!! Ackkkkkk!

So I drew the design on the cotton pillowcase (a larger size), and put tear away stabilizer underneath. Then after stitching a few inches, it sort of pulled, like there was something caught underneath. I pulled it all out, checked everything, unthreaded and rethreaded, and tried again. Still pulling. Took it all apart again. Put a scrap piece of cloth underneath, and pressed the foot pedal. It began sewing backwards, then like it was doing a buttonhole! So I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and still it was sewing backwards. Unplugged it again. Turned it on, put it on the decorative stitch, and still backwards. Then I ran through the memory choices, chose memory one, and the decorative stitch. Then it sewed all nice and pretty. So I ripped the bad stitching out of the pillowcase, and tried sewing again. I was good for about 2 inches, then I got itty bitty tiny puckerd stitches. Ripped it out, put a new needle in, ran through the memory, tried a scrap piece again, and back to the pillowcase. After a few inches, the same stinkin' thing!

Oh, my machine is a Husqvarna Viking Platinum 770. I sure hope this is an easy fix!

Now I'm gonna order a pizza and take the machine in to the shop on Monday.
Theresa
temom

Re: Time for the repair shop

New postby lendube on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Poor girl. What a frustrating afternoon it's been for you. :evil: I can relate. I have a Viking but I can't offer any sage words to possibly remedy your situation. It sounds like an electronic glitch. When you've unplugged it have you left it unplugged for several minutes? Doesn't sound like the thread is the problem but I'd try some different thread in both the bobbin and on the top. Can't hurt, might help. I don't like 100% cotton myself. My machine is very particular about types of threads. Could the stabilizer be gunking things up?

Now you do know that NO fix on a Viking is going to be cheap, don't you? They've got you, these dealers. Why do I go to Ebay for plastic, yes plastic, bobbins instead of buying them from the dealer? The dealer sells them for $1.39 each! I get them for half that on Ebay. Still ridiculous for a small piece of plastic that must cost 2 cents to manufacture.

Anyway I've half heartedly been trying to convince my ds to get certified in sewing machine repair from the different companies. Maybe not for a full time job but what a nice little bit of side money that could provide. :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Theresa, my Babylock did something like that & they said the circuit board had shorted out. Hope they can figure out what is causing your machine to act up. Now, your thread is probably too heavy to do decorative stitching. Cotton thread is 30 weight & embroidery thread is usually 40 or 50 weight which can make a difference. It is always advised to set your tension for embroidery & use embroidery weight thread when doing decorative stitches.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby MTL79 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Dear Temom,

Sorry to hear about your pillowcase problems. I think pizza and a trip to the repair shop is the best thing!

My only suggestion is to bring in the pillowcase and sewing it out in front of the repair person so they see what the machine is doing.

Good Luck,
Michael
MTL79

New postby temom on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18 am

Well my machine has been in the shop for 15 days now - I'm really itching to get it back! So far no news.
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 pm

After my last experience at the service shop, I 'd be tempted to phone and make sure they hadn't either forgotten about doing it, or decided it was too difficult and that they wouldn't do it, but just didn't bother to tell you. Hope you get your baby back soon.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 am

Yep, I'd follow up with the shop too...just to find out how it's coming along. They can forget about it or if someone else has come along that is a little more vocal (shall we say), yours can be put in the back. But they could be waiting for parts too. Be interested in finding out what they say. :think:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby lendube on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am

Mine was in the shop for 6 weeks one time. It was just a tune up. Every time I called I was told that their tech guy was sick so it would still be a while. I had a feeling they didn't even have a guy. If someone had been sick that long it would have to be something serious and I was told it was not. I finally got tired of waiting and took it to another shop and had it within a week. The original shop did nothing to compensate for the inconvenience and were rather snooty about it. I haven't gone back since. However when dh stopped in one time looking for a little tool he could use for his fishing stuff he mentioned it to a lady there and she gave dh about 6 packs of various embroidery needles for me.

By all means, keep after them and hijack the thing if it's taking too long!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby temom on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:30 am

I am happy to report that I my sewing machine is back home! I had a message on my answering machine yesterday afternoon, so I picked it up. It was still under warranty, so it didn't cost anything. I did ask what the problem was, and they said "Oh, it just needed a little adjusting. If you have any problems with it let us know."

I really don't think it was just a little adjusting, and if people don't know what the problems are with the machines, they can't tell anyone else. I also believe they sent it out for repair rather than doing it in house. One time when I called for it, one of the salespeople said "it is here but it isn't ready". I am just a bit suspicious.

Anyway, I hardly stopped until I sat down for leftovers last night about 7:15. I was going to plug my machine in and give it a whirl, but when I sat down to check my email, I actually dozed off while doing so. So I called it an early night and went off to bed. I'll hopefully get some serious sewing done today.
Theresa
temom

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 am

but when I sat down to check my email, I actually dozed off while doing so

Been there Done that!!!
Glad you have your machine back. Hope you have time to use it soon!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

Next

Return to Sewing Machines