My Poor Machines ...

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

My Poor Machines ...

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:10 pm

My poor machines are headed to the shop for a check-up tomorrow. I think the Babylock's circuit board is trying to go out again. This is the 3rd time I've had to take it to the shop in less than 2 years. It's a Babylock X-scape & is in the mid-range price. It's the first Babylock machine I have ever owned. My Pfaff 7570 is also going to the shop for a check-up as the buttons are beginning to stick. It needs a good cleaning. I've had it since 2002. Fortunately, I do have several other machines that I can use but cannot do embroidery without the Pfaff. I have some T-shirts that I need to add embroidery for my sister. I just hate it that both of the machines that I use the most are not doing well at the moment.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: My Poor Machines ...

New postby momquilts on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:35 am

It must be sick machine week. My Janome has been possessed I think! When I take my foot off the pedal, it continues to sew. I have to turn it off to make it stop. DD wanted to sew while I was away this week and I wouldn't let her use the machine. I was afraid she would get hurt because she isn't that experienced.

I'm concerned because the machine is only a year old, but it has been used almost every day so it does have a lot of 'miles' on it.
momquilts

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:47 am

My janome machine did that aftr the foot pedal was dropped a couple of time and the humidity in my house was high. The machine was near the AC vent in my sewing room. I'm not sure what exactly made the foot pedal malfunction but those two events make me suspicous as to the cause. Anyway, it malfunctioned and the cure was a new foot pedal for $30. It has a circuit board in it so is not very repairable if that is why it malfunctions. Could be a safety hazard.

Marty I am sorry your machines are aillin' I suspect it could be expensive to have them both repaired at the same time. I hope they "cut you some slack" on the price.

Hey, I'm typing without glassex on. Had the second eye surgery on Thursday. Yipee!!!! The world is much clearer now. :oops: I'm still terrible with keybording/typing. :lol:
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:04 am

The base repair price is $69 & it goes up from there. I suspect my Pfaff just needs a good cleaning & tune up while the Babylock needs more. The Babylock's computer parts are under warranty so I'm not too worried about that. DH told me just to take both of them & get it done so we'll take them in this afternoon. I'll use my back-up Pfaff to work on some mending projects. It just doesn't do any embroidery. I'll put off once again embroidering my sister's shirts. She probably thinks by now that I have forgotten her since I've had the shirts a few years. :oops:
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 am

I hope it won't take long to get your machines back Marty.

Something must be in the air..... my Brother machine (that I just had repaired a few months ago :x ) is starting to show signs of the same problem it had then AGAIN. :brick: (the feed dog problem)
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby plrlegal on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:25 pm

My "Big Baby", the Expression 4.0, had to be hospitalized a couple of weeks ago. It was back the next day. The sensor that controls the auto cutter "scissors" in the feed dogs malfunctioned. The repairman said the sensor was just dirty and that he cleaned it. It's working fine now, but it's still under warranty. I also have 3 backup machines (Singer Quantum 3400 which is computerized; Featherweight and Treadle machines.

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am

Yikes ... to clean & service my Pfaff 7570 (including the embroidery unit) is going to be $185+. I knew it would be expensive but not that much. Guess computerized machine repairs are much more expensive. Oh, how I wish that it wasn't so expensive to get fixed My Babylock is being shipped by Fed-Ex back to the factory in St Louis to have it checked. This is the third circuit board to go out in less than 2 years. There is no charge to me for the Babylock. I'm disappointed that I will have to wait on it because I use the Babylock each week when I go to the church to sew. Now my Pfaff 1371 said it wants a check-up too. It decided not to form stitches last night or wind the bobbin. Hmmm ... that's not good as it worked fine a month ago. Wonder if its computer board is trying to go out. I might need to trade that one in. On the upside, I still have 3 mechanicals available to use.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 am

When it rains it poors!!! Marty I feel for you. You might want to put your sewing machines on a line conditioner so that power surges are handled at the conditioner and not at the sewing machine.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 pm

My main sewing machine is the Pfaff 7570 & it needed to be serviced & cleaned. The embroidery unit was also cleaned. The light bulb & batteries were replaced. They told me that the batteries had leaked acid onto the connector so that was cleaned too. I only take it in every couple of years for a cleaning & service. It came to $170 plus sales tax for a total of $185 & some cents. DH met me at the dealer & paid the bill without blinking an eye. He thought it would be expensive & it was. Then he put the machine & embroidery unit in my van & went back to work. But at least I won't have to worry about machine problems as I get into craft fair sewing mode & finish up some garments that I've started. I also will be adding embroidery to some shirts for one of my sisters. Tonight, my nephew brought me some pants to mend for him & I picked up 2 dresses to hem at church today. My Babylock will not be ready for at least a week to 10 days. It has been shipped to the Tacony plant in St Louis, MO. There will not be a repair cost for the Babylock. I am very pleased with my dealer, Memphis Sewing Machine Company.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:29 pm

My Babylock is on its way back from Tacony Corp in St Louis, MO. I should have it by Monday or Tuesday. They didn't say why the circuit board keeps shorting out. I really would like to find out why it does this. My Babylock machine is not plugged in when not in use as it usually stays in its carrying case. I only use it for going to classes & such. I really like the machine as it is easy to lift & to use. My other machines are too heavy for me to take anywhere.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Next

Return to Sewing Machines