How Many Sewing Machines ...

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

How Many Sewing Machines ...

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:20 am

I have collected 3 vintage sewing machines & have my primary machine & serger at home plus a travel machine for classes. My DD has 2 machines. How many sewing machines do you have & why do you have more than one? This is just a question to generate some sewing discussion.
Marty with Travel Machine.jpg
Marty with Travel Machine.jpg (25.37 KB) Viewed 5599 times

My machines are - Pfaff 7570 Creative Designer - sewing/embroidery machine - primary machine - got in 2002
Pfaff 4874 - 10 thread serger with coverstitches - got in 2002
Pfaff 1371 Limited Edition sewing machine - vintage - circa 1988
New Home "Greyhound Lightening" sewing machine - vintage/possibly antique - received from 95 yr old church member when she went to a nursing home
Kenmore 158.17511 sewing machine - vintage circa 1968
Babylock X-scape computerized sewing machine - got in 2007 for classes
Marty ;)
Last edited by MartySews2 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: How Many Sewing Machines ...

New postby SmilieFace on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:59 am

I have two machines. Mainly because I haven't been willing to depart with my old machine after purchasing a new one about 9 months ago. I don't use it often, but because it's the sewing machine I learned on, I'm too sentimental about it to part with it.

I also have a serger, which I've only used for one class. Which reminds me...I need to figure out how to thread my serger again so I can use it next month!
SmilieFace

New postby temom on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 am

I have one sewing machine, one serger, and one embroidery only machine. That is all. I need to experiment with the serger more, and use the embroidery machine more. My sewing machine is a work horse, and it probably is past due for a cleaning and checkup.

Smilie, you will love your serger once you learn to thread it. I made myself sit down and learn to thread it, then unthreaded and rethreaded over and over. It was frustrating at first, but now it is no big deal.
What kind of serger do you have? I have a brother 1034 D, and it is pretty simple to use and thread.
Theresa
temom

New postby DorothyL on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 am

I guess I have three sewing machines if you include the treadle. It is folded up with the serger on top and would need a good cleaning and oiling (which I could do myself) and should be in good working order. The leather strap is off the wheel so it doesn't stretch out.
I have my work horse Pfaff. It's probably 10 years old and boy is it a great machine. I absolutely love it. It will do absolutely anything I ask but has few fancy stitches and the buttonholes are hard to get right.
I also have a year-and-a-half year old EuroPro. It has lots of pretty fancy stitches and and automatic one step buttonhole maker. My husband caught me eyeing it and bought it for Xmas. I guess it is near the upper end of the EuroPro line since they are known for low quality.
Mine really is a pretty good machine. It makes a better blind hem than the Pfaff and has a lot more convenience features -- needle down (I love that) and a bobbin you can see is running low on thread before you start the zipper or whatever.
I use them both about the same amount of time -- the EuroPro for buttonholes, fancy stitches and hems or if I ever needed any of those specialty feet (which I generally just forget to use). I lost a lot for the Pfaff when we moved to Syracuse and didn't bother to replace many -- just the buttonhole foot, the blind hemmer and the zipper foot.
When the fabric is thick or I am doing a seam that will get thick I use the Pfaff -- which does whatever I ask with no complaint. If I am using a slippery fabric or a knit that may wiggle around I use the Pfaff for the little extra foot on top. I've never even taken the EuroPro's walking foot out of the box. It's just easier to thread the Pfaff.
My serger is also Pfaff about 5 years old I think. It is also a cover stitch machine. I really don't use the cover stitch much. It does make a nice decorative chain. I mostly just use it to finish seams

I keep all my machines cleaned and oiled and change the needles often. I've never had to repair them. They also missed annual check ups but seem very healthy.

I did have a cheap serger that was hardly used. It drove me so crazy I ran out the door straight to the Pfaff store and got the one I have now. I also had an old Singer and a Brother. both were basic machines in good working order but I stopped using them when I got the Pfaff. Before we moved to Syracuse I gave those three machines to a community center. The administrator there is a sewist and she teaches the interested kids to sew. They did have to go to the middle school to use machines but now at least they have a couple of their own.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

I have 4 sewing machines and one serger.

My wonderful Viking #1+, embroidery and regular machine. I got it about 5 years ago which was about 5 years after it was their top of the line machine which makes it about 10 years old. It had been used a handful of times when I got it second hand but I've more than made up for the lost time by using it almost daily since I got it. I love it and have no desire to upgrade.

Next is my serger. My first, a BabyLock Eclipse. Also got this one second hand three years ago. It has the "air pump" that makes threading a breeze. I love this machine too. It's just fun.

Then there's my old tried and true Singer 534. Given to me for Xmas 1977 just before I got married the first time in May '78. It served me so well for so long. All the Halloween costumes for my kids and others, my kid's clothing, home decor and lots for me. It still runs beautifully and I use it occassionally for heavy stuff that I don't want to risk on my Viking. Timing is an expensive fix........... :shock:

Then there is the ol' Montgomery Ward steel machine that my mom bought when she first came to the States in 1955. I used it when I first started sewing till I got my first, the above Singer. The cord is frayed at the pedal. It runs but it's an absolute fire hazard to use now. I imagine it's an easy and cheap fix if I wanted to do that.

Lastly and absolute least favorite is the cheapo (I mean like $106.00) Euro Pro that my mom had around just for the occassional fix. Haven't used it and I might be surprised so I shouldn't say anything till I have but I'm not in any hurry to mess around with it. :hand: I'm spoiled, I guess. ;)
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:24 am

Singer 401A that is my main machine and does everything I need it to do
Singer 404 usually set up with a buttonhole attachment (back when I did ALOT of sewing)
Singer 201-2 we use for heavier fabrics if needed.
Singer 301 portable
Singer 778 Touch N Sew free arm in a huge cabinet and the top swings down and to the left for free arm access.

Also, in storage other vintage machines (Spartan, a Kenmore, a New Home, maybe more, can't remember) we don't currently use but keep anyway
White Babylock 1500 serger.

Have most of the attachments for these machines as well as a bunch of other "stuff" in boxes not yet sorted (moved last year).

All three of my Featherweights were sold in the last few years but I will replace them once I am able to. I did keep my Featherweight card table (in pretty good shape) which also fits the 400 series Singers.

Why??

It's a sickness that only seamtresses would understand.

Let's not ask about fabric stashes.... ;)

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby sewhappyrtr on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 am

Wow, I guess I am the poor relation!! :D :D
I have 2 , my Brother sewing/embroidery machine, I bought second hand, but got at a really good price, and it had to be the Brother since I like Disney so much :lol: :lol:
and I have my moms old one I think its a new home, or something like that,, I don't use it anymore, its packed away, as I have no room for it in my sewing room/computer room/ storage room.
I would love a serger but have no money right now to buy one.
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I have a total of 5 machines. in birth order they are : Singer 221 Featherweight Portable w/ buttonhole attachment. Purchased used in 1957 from Singer. it was a rental. A kenmore sewing machine made in 70's 5 zigzag stitches and 5 stretch stitches. In its own cabinet. (temporarily resides at DS home) .. Janome Memory Craft 4000, purchased in early 90's. (My main one in everyday use today)... All 3 of these machines sew as good today as the day they were purchased.. Then I have a serger Companion 2040 or something like that .. Purchased in late 80's.. Still going strong, its just a plain old 4 thread overlock serger w/ rolled edge capabilities. (that is frozen so tight --adjusting screw-- I cannot use that feature. But, I never used it enough to matter , anyway. And my newest purchase is the Janome 900 C. coverstitch machine.. I bought it as a stand alone because my serger still works so well, I did not need a new serger with the coverstitch feature therefore I saved money buying the stand alone.. So, I have a total of 5, all in good working order. But I am 75 as of a few days ago, so I will not be purchasing any more.. If I was 55, I might buy an embroidery machine, but not now. Besides I cannot afford it.. I could not afford thread for it , if I had one..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby ninifav on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:21 pm

two viking D1s..had one converted to USB; one babylock evolve serger...
On my wish list: a stand alone babylock coverstitch and...the Viking Diamond ( need to win the lottery for that one...)
Paula
ninifav

New postby Magot on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:02 am

1 Janome Quilters companion - which does everything I need
1 Elna 786 Serger which I shall get more to grips with one of these days - time and fabric permitting.
My hands
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

Next

Return to Sewing Machines