Rough spot on machine catching the satin

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Rough spot on machine catching the satin

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:33 am

My Singer belongs in a cabinet but I have it sitting on the table now b/c there's no room for the machine in the cabinet in the LR and I can't sew in the bedroom since Joe is working nights this week.

There's a rough spot on the front edge/corner that is snagging the satin I am working with. I need to cover it. I tried packing tape but since it's a "corner", I'm afraid the creases in the tape are just as bad as the burr on the machine. I would just use Joe's dremel tool to smooth the whole area but he's asleep and I can't find it anywhere.

Suggestions?

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Rough spot on machine catching the satin

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:24 am

I had something similiar on an oak veneer desk. I got some plastic wood and smoothed it out with my fingers. Or one of those putty pencils might work. But you may have to wait a bit til it dries.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 am

Or what about taping some fabric over the corner piece to prevent the snagging until you can do something more permanent.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:54 am

I take a nail file & use the fine edge to buff out rough edges. It takes some elbow grease but can be done. Also, if you have some fine grit sandpaper to buff the edges, it will smooth it out.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Like Marty, I often find a nail file a useful tool.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:49 pm

I tried a nail file and used a scrap to test out the area, it's better than it was so at least I can sew a bit more before I head in to work some overtime tonight. Both of the ones I'm working on right now are 95% done so I'm making progress.
kjh9835

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:43 pm

I would put some cellophane tape over the area. Perhaps the fabric will just slide over that.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:23 pm

If you have a Diamond Deb fingernail file, that is as good as a metal file without having any metal shavings to worry about.. That is a great tool to have.. I keep one in my toolbox, and I have the one I purchased in the 60's for my nails.. Yes, I still have it.. I had to retrieve it a couple of times from my SIL back in the old days.. She wanted all my goodies for her manicures and would not buy them.. I finally told her she could not borrow mine any more because she would not return them till I asked for them..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Sewing Machines