Pfaff trouble - Sew Classic where are you?

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Pfaff trouble - Sew Classic where are you?

New postby bridesmom on Sun May 31, 2009 7:28 am

My MIL's old Pfaff Creative 1471 lights up when you turn it on, but nothing happens when you push the foot pedal. I tried switching and using my pedal (I have one too) and it still does nothing, not even a hum. The wheel turns freely, you can change stitch programming, but it just won't go. The manual says the fuse may need changing, but for the life of me I can't find where the fuse goes! The picture shows it goes on the back where the power cord plugs into the machine, but there is no 'screw' to open up the piece. I'm pretty sure that my old machine had to get a fuse changed once. Any ideas????
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Re: Pfaff trouble - Sew Classic where are you?

New postby Sew-Classic on Sun May 31, 2009 12:47 pm

I haven't opened up enough of these types of machine to have memorized the process, so I can't offer a step by step based on memory. Sorry.
Sew-Classic

New postby MartySews2 on Sun May 31, 2009 12:59 pm

Laura, check with Cindy Peters at stitchesintime@earthlink.net as she is a vendor for Old Pfaff sewing machines. She can probably give you instructions on how to repair the machine. Cindy & I are on the Old Pfaff group on yahoo groups. I have a Pfaff 1381 but I just get it serviced regularly at my Pfaff dealer. Cindy also is able to get parts for older model Pfaff sewing machines. I'm confident that she will be able to help you.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Sew-Classic on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 am

Nope, proablay a little too new for Cindy.

The 1471 is an early computerized model that from the late 1980's-ish. These aren't nearly as easy to open up as the early/vintage models. I remember having to really put my thinking cap on, and take my time getting to things.
Sew-Classic

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:00 pm

I took it in this morning to a dealer who thinks the motor may be gone. He's going to check it out and then see if he can get parts, then call me tomorrow. My MIL will be pretty upset if she can't get it fixed, or if its going to be too much to pay for. It's sure been a good little machine.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby Sew-Classic on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Well, I hope it's just a loose connection or fuse or some other simlpe repair!
Last edited by Sew-Classic on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sew-Classic

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:59 pm

The circuit board may have gone out too. Laura, I do hope your Pfaff dealer was trained to work on older Pfaff machines. If he was a Pfaff dealer prior to 2001, he should have the proper training. I know several people on some discussion groups that I belong to who have had their machines ruined by an untrained mechanic. Let us know if you're able to get it fixed.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby Sew-Classic on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:00 am

Marty- there are so many good techs out there and there are so many hacks! It's not just having Pfaff's worked on that can bring this to light. Lots of bad and misleading advise being dished out as well. I've heard of techs telling people that the potted motors on the old Singer 15-91's and 201-2's couldn't be worked on or rewired. Really?? I've done tons of them- silly me!

Once I called a local shop to get some rubber bumpers/feet for the bottom of a Singer 301, and was told that I would have to bring the machine in to purchase the parts. Hmmmm....I told them I have a part number...no, they insisted that I bring the machine in, so I ordered them online.

I don't mess with the computer controls or circiut boards on sewing machines, but I don't really have much need to- just not my "thing". My main wrenching rule is 'if it ain't broke, don't break it'.

Part of me wonders if it is a bit of a gender "thing". Most sewing techs are male and I know that my DH will dive into something that he doesn't quite understand sometimes. Where as, I tend to take my time and be more methodical, intentional and purposeful in approaching a repair or service situation of any sort. I figure out what a part does and how it works before touching anything. I hate making more work for myself than necessary! .....dunno...
Sew-Classic

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:49 am

Oh, you are sew right about that. I had my word processor/typewriter ruined because of someone not knowing what they were really doing when I had the Sears' repair it. It was totally worthless after that. Now, I research very carefully & try to wait while something is being repaired. Now, I usually only use Sears for things under warranty.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 pm

It's dead! Really dead. The service tech called yesterday with the bad news. But, it only cost me $20 for the brushes he purchased for it. But it's the bottom circuit board, and it's not worth the cost to fix it. So, I called my MIL with the sad news. She has a machine that was given to her by one of the daughters of a woman who passed away in her building so she will have a machine. And the old Pfaff is the same model as my old one is. So I brought it home and will keep it for parts if I need it for mine. Once we go on holidays my Pfaff will go in for a service call. The brushes on MIL's machine were completely worn down and he thinks that's what shorted out the board or something like that. Of all the service techs that I have had to deal with in and around town, this one was definitely one I would return to. And he's right in town!!! I didn't even realize that he existed until MIL told me that's where she took her serger for service. So, even though it was bad news for the machine, it was good news, cause now I have a good service tech AND it's also a lovely little quilt shop!
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

Next

Return to Sewing Machines