Won't believe it's me and not the machine.

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Won't believe it's me and not the machine.

New postby lendube on Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I came back from my mother's with a sewing machine intended for my dd. I sat down to become familiar with it. Her good one had broken and all she wanted was a cheap basic machine. It's only been used a handful of times if that. It's a Euro Pro 385 and I can't get it to just stitch a straight line of stitching! :evil: All it wants to do is zig zag. Every one of the "fancy" stitches comes out in the zig zag pattern. It's so simple with a dial for the stitches and a basic 4 step buttonhole selector. I've gone through the manual several times. It doesn't even say how to straight stitch except to show the " ---------" on the dial. I do that and get a zig zag every time. :brick:

Since it's such a cheap machine I don't want to spend money on it. It's a mechanical dial, nothing computerized on this machine. Do I dare open it up myself??? Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Is the dial just out of whack maybe? :think: I think then I'd find the straight stitch somewhere else on the dial though. :think: I've looked around online but not much on this machine and the Euro Pro site is under construction. :brick:

I can't believe that I can't get it to sew a straight line of stitches. It's got to be the machine. :doh:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Won't believe it's me and not the machine.

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Ok, you probably already tried this, but maybe the stitch width is not at 0? My machine still zigzags (although slightly less) on the straight setting if the stitch width is not 0. (maybe all machines do this? I haven't used a lot of other machines)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Here_Fishey on Tue May 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Kaitlin,
I think that all machines that have a stitch width selector will do this.
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby lendube on Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks, Kaitlin. That wasn't it either. What I finally did is to just rotate the dial back and forth and around a few times with vigor! :roll: Seems to be working now. I noticed that there was an "extra" click when I turned the dial that did nothing. Maybe during the 2 1/2 hour car ride home it got discombobulated or something.

I'm not very impressed with it though. It didn't exactly get thrashed about. Thinking it might be too frustrating for beginner sewer if it's going to be such a flaky machine. I think I'll use it for a while before giving it to her. She's not exactly chomping at the bit to get started anyway.

We'll just have to see if it decides to behave. I don't even think it cost $110.00. My mom actually got it with Betty Crocker points in addition to the money.

I'm always very quick to think it's me that's wrong but I refused to believe it this time. :applause: Sure makes me appreciate my own machine. ;)
Lennie

lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 pm

My dealer refuses to work on Euro-Pro machines because parts are hard to come by & they are not well made. Sorry Dorothy, this is what I was told. I know you love your Euro-Pro. Lennie, I think you would be better off getting a good mechanical like an older model Kenmore for your DD's first machine. If the machine has been sitting in a closet for a period of time, it just might be gunked up on the inside. If you take it apart, clean everything with PB Blaster & then lubricate with some Tri-Flow oil. It will take some elbow grease. Good luck.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue May 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, at least it wasn't you, but how frustrating! Who knows..that might be the only glitch..but I bet you aren't just itching to sew a bunch of stuff on that machine to test it out now, are you? :P Good luck! Your DD is certainly lucky to have you to help her! :)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby DorothyL on Wed May 06, 2009 5:06 am

I do love my EuroPro machine. It's a little up the line than Lennie's though. It is a computerized machine and was in the $300 range.
That said, I agree they don't have much by way of customer service. On the box they showed lower case letters as a feature -- but there are only upper case. And when I wanted to get extra bobbins I had to guess at the size because it wasn't in the manual. I'm glad they have a web site under construction because when I looked for one I couldn't find it.

I haven't had any problems with it -- except once in a while I have to rethread it because the thread seems to jump out of the tension. It doesn't happen a lot but it has happened. I keep it very clean, taking it apart and cleaning it out before every project and I don't ask too much of it. Heavy fabrics, silky things I need the walking foot for or anything that will have several layers goes to my good old reliable Pfaff mechanical machine. Buttonholes (especially), anything with fancy top stitching and most garment sewing I use the EuroPro.
I find I use each of them about half the time. Usually I use just one for a single project.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Wed May 06, 2009 9:45 am

Marty, I do have my old reliable Singer 534 circa 1977. I keep it oiled and cleaned and it hasn't ever given me a bit of trouble except for the wires coming loose in the foot pedal which I repaired. It's every bit as basic as this Euro Pro but doesn't feel flaky. It's such a sturdy machine. It'd probably be a better machine for dd.

This EuroPro is only about 5 years old and has been sitting doing nothing for about the last 3 years I'd guess and didn't do much before that. It shouldn't be too gunky but you never know. It did live at the beach and the humidity might have made it "sticky". Dh mentioned that there should be a "set screw" under the cover on the dial. He said that could probably be adjusted and "glued" in place to keep it from shifting again. For as much sewing as my mom did it was almost all hand quilting and hand work. She just wanted something cheap for the occasional repair or small project.

I'm so spoiled with my Viking. All computerized and automatic is certainly the way to go. :dance: If, and it's a big if, dd does get into sewing I'll at least have a good machine for buttonholes and specialty work should she need it.
Lennie

lendube

Return to Sewing Machines