Complaints About Sewing Machines

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Complaints About Sewing Machines

New postby plrlegal on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Have any of you ladies notcied that on some of the other boards that no matter what machine some people own they always find problems with it and when people purchase a brand new, just off the showroom floor, model, they manage to have something happen to it that in no way could be their fault because they thought they knew all about the machine immediately and didn't bother to take the manual and learn how the machine functions before they start squawking about all of the manufacturer problems they already discovered to make this machine totally inferior???

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

Re: Complaints About Sewing Machines

New postby Corinna29 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm

This is my only sewing board - but my first thought is are they men (don't read a manual, but know everything) & second, sounds like some people I work with. So I guess it's not limited to sewing machines!
Corinna29

New postby DorothyL on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:40 am

I think a lot of people do that with all kinds of things. To tell the truth I often skip the manuals for things (especially phones). But when I can't figure things out I tend to know who did it -- me not the machine.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 am

I've heard the whining on other forums & discussion groups. My thoughts are:
1. If you invest the $$$, then take the time to learn the machine which includes reading the manual, taking lessons, etc.
2. Computerized components are much more sensitive to dust, dirt, threads, etc. It will fail if not properly maintained which means frequent needle changes & cleaning. I change needles after every project & more often if I'm doing a lot of embroidery.
3. Have a dealer nearby that you can trust as sometimes you have to go thru a bunch of dirt to find a gem. Develop a relationship with a dealer before purchasing. Trust your gut instincts & talk to others who have dealt with the dealer. You will get a feel for how they treat customers & whether they are honest or not.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:30 pm

My Dad taught me this lesson years and years ago.. He said, Don't be as foolish as most people.. When you get a new item, READ the manual First, before you attempt to operate it.. I always follow that advice, no matter how excited I am with a new Toy... Toy = Something that brings you pleasure.. I think this is why I do not have many repair bills to speak of.. One DS does like me, and the other will look at instructions w/pictures and diagrams, but otherwise, brings them to me to read. (He is dyslexic, I suspect. ) He has never liked to read and is not great at it.. So, I try to help.. I love to read and learn any new operation.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby HeyJudee on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:23 pm

MartySews2 wrote: My thoughts are:
1. If you invest the $$$, then take the time to learn the machine which includes reading the manual, taking lessons, etc.
Marty ;)

I agree 100%! :applause:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby DorothyL on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:56 pm

As we say in my house "When all else fails, read the directions."
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby temom on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:15 pm

DorothyL wrote:As we say in my house "When all else fails, read the directions."
Dorothy

Same here. Some things are intuitive, and some manuels are impossible to dicipher (such as the Dyson Vacuum manual - all cryptic pictures). But to complain because it is an inferior machine when you haven't read the manual - I think that highlights the person's lack of intelligence.
Theresa
temom

New postby StitchNTime on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:06 pm

This is my only sewing board, too...

but there is something I've learned about people in general. There are some that are happy with nothing...no matter what.

I'm glad this board is not like that.
StitchNTime

New postby Here_Fishey on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:16 pm

This is almost my only sewing board, and the other one does not have the complaints either. I honestly think that the complaints that you are seeing are a reflection on today's society in general. Basically, no=one is responsible for their own actions, it is always someone else's fault! (The McDonald's coffee incident comes to mind here -- hot coffee, and it was not supposed to be hot???! seriously!!!!!) I don't think that these people know how to say, "oh, I made a mistake" (or even think that there was anyway that they could make a mistake!!!!).
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

Next

Return to Sewing Machines