Sewing machine light bulbs

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: Sewing machine light bulbs

New postby bridesmom on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48 am

I find this thread kind of funny. I don't have any replacement light bulbs for my machines, and I did blow one a year or two ago and it took forever to find another one, had to special order it. The funny thing is, so many of us don't have a spare bulb, but do you have spare lightbulbs for in your house light fixtures?? Then, I ask, why don't we have spare bulbs for our machines???
I have spare needles, serger blade, spool holders, but no light bulbs. I think that will be on my shopping list.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby momquilts on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 am

DH bought my machine many years ago at JC Penney as a Christmas gift. It was sold as Penney brand but it was made by Brother. My friend also had an old Brother machine so we decided to go to a dealer we saw at a quilt show to see what they would give us in a trade-in. My machine was worth about $10 for scrap and I decided to keep it, so I needed a new bulb. The people in the shop couldn't find anything to even come close to what I needed. I kept the old machine to take to classes. I also use it to put in zippers since I don't like the foot on my new machine. When I use it I have to have a lamp on the table because I can't see a thing!
momquilts

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 am

My old machine will take regular night light bulbs. they are not as bright but work in a pinch. I always have those on hand. I have never changed my serger bulb but it has come loose a couple of times & I had to unscrew everything just to tighten it.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby DorothyL on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 am

One of the women at my dealer/quilt fabric shop said mine burn out a lot because I touch them and you are not supposed to touch that type of bulb. But how would you get them in without touching?
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby ddreev on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:22 am

But how would you get them in without touching?

If they are a halogen type bulb I think I was told onetime that the oils from your fingers are not good for them and to use a rag or tissue to hold them to put in. My sewing machine has an open tube end on one side of the screw driver and you insert the bulb using that. I haven't replaced it yet but that was in the instructions. I have only replaced one bulb in all the years I have been sewing....I guess I'm just lucky.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby Here_Fishey on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 am

Hmm, I have replaced one bulb in my now back-up machine. I pulled the bulb out and took it to a local electronics store (Not radio shack), the new bulb cost me.... (wait for it.....) a whole $.24 and the person at the counter was wanting to just give the bulb to me (I think it probably cost them more in time to write up the invoice than it was worth),,, His thought was that though the bulb would fit, but that it might not be bright enough.... and I was working without light without the bulb....

Lets see, the moral of this story is -- for bulbs, go somewhere other than the dealer for replacements unless you are still under warranty!!!!
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:43 pm

My serger is at least 20 years old.. (Purchased before 1989) The original bulb just burned out a few months ago. I took it out and went to Lowe's and they had one that fit (the base) but it was 15 watts, instead of 10. I purchased it because I could not find a 10 watt bulb anywhere.. Bill warned me on here to be careful, so I check it while I'm using the serger to make sure its not too hot.. so far, its doing fine.. I could not believe that original bulb lasted that long.. My serger is a no-name brand made by Babylock. Purchased very cheaply from Cloth World.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:47 am

HeyJudee wrote: So on the Thurs night I made a trip to my dealer and I bought a new bulb...a halogen...since that is what mine uses and it was $10 Cdn. The next time I used my machine the light was on...and it hasn't gone off since and this is now almost March. So my point...having a spare bulb on hand for when it does burn out is comforting... :whistle:

I guess I should really have posted this in the "not to bright" posts. :shame: Yesterday I went to sew and no light. The bulb had finally burnt out. So I just pulled out my spare bulb and when I went to install it found out...it was the wrong size. DUH...I never even checked after buying it. :doh: And I hadn't even kept my receipt. :doh: But when I went back to the dealer I took the wrong bulb, as well as my burnt out one, to make sure I get the right one this time. Well the dealer took it back!!! The bulb I needed was only $5...so walked out of the store with my new bulb and money in my pocket! :dance: :dance: :dance: Now I can see to sew...
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 am

Jusee, I think you have been blessed today. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
sewingmom

New postby DorothyL on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:07 am

It is the funniest thing. If you read up above you will note I said the bulb in my Pfaff sewing machine had been out for more than a year and I had not bothered to replace it. Well. about a month ago, I turned the machine on as usual and the light came on. It has been working ever since.
Dorothy
DorothyL

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing Machines