Sewing machine light bulbs

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Sewing machine light bulbs

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 pm

So, how long to they last?

I ask because I walked into my sewing room today, after a brief hiatus..and my serger light was on! :o Unless there was something I actually used my serger for something that I've forgotten about, it must have been on since last Sunday. Those things aren't expensive, right? :oops:
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Sewing machine light bulbs

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:35 pm

I don't know if I have ever changed my sewing machine bulbs... and that would have been over a l....... o........n ...........g time!!!
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:55 pm

Well I bought my sewing machine in Aug. 2004. In January, I was sewing and all of a sudden the bulb went out. I had to set up a table lamp to continue sewing as it was a pain to sew without the light. After about an hour the bulb came back on. :? But this gave me a heads up to buy a bulb the next time I went shopping...but I had to sew the next night. When I turned on my machine...no light. :doh: But after sewing for a while...I realized the light was back on...again. So I figured it was going to go soon. So on the Thurs night I made a trip to my dealer and I bought a new bulb...a halogen...since that is what mine uses and it was $10 Cdn. The next time I used my machine the light was on...and it hasn't gone off since and this is now almost March. So my point...having a spare bulb on hand for when it does burn out is comforting... :whistle:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:57 pm

In the past, I have forgotten and left my serger on for several days and it didn't burn out my light bulb. I've had my serger since 2002 and have never had the light bulb changed. Just google the brand of serger you have and check the price of light bulbs. I checked my Pfaff light bulb and it was around $3.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:47 pm

I've never blown a bulb in any of my machines, and one of them is over 30yrs old. I've always been in the habit of unplugging my machines after finishing because of the cats. I had a cat that liked to lay on the foot pedal. Didn't take me long to remember to unplug after that. Then when we moved here we had lots of power surges and I didn't want to ruin the innards of my machine so I continue to unplug.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby DorothyL on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:15 am

Both of my Pfaffs -- sewing machine and serger -- haven't had a light for more than a year. I have a lamp that swings over them and does fine. I usually don't sew after dark anyway and my machines are in a large bay window so I get plenty of light. Before we moved they were in front of a large window too. It isn't the expense of the bulbs that has kept me from replacing them but the hassle of finding a bulb to fit. I would probably have to have my dealer -- more than an hour's drive -- special order. I expect if I really needed it I could call and they would order bulbs and mail them but I haven't felt the need yet.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Sew-Classic on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:18 am

I whole heatedly recommend unplugging your machine or disconnecting it from the power source when not in use.

Why?

If your machine has any electronic components or circuit boards a power surge can wreck havoc, but there are dangers beyond that.

If a component in your controller malfunctions, in can cause a fire hazard. These don't happen frequently, but it's soooo easy to unplug the machine or use a switched power strip and flip the switch.
Sew-Classic

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:32 am

Yep...I have mine on a surge suppressor power bar. Figured I spend enough to get that machine I don't want it to go pouff when the hydro fluctuates. And I always shut the power bar off when I'm finished sewing. My power bar has a light so I can tell when it is left on. Also, the more expensive the machine...the higher the jewel protection should be in the bar you get. And when I take my machine any where...like to class...I bring my own surge suppressor bar too. Just my opinion.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby lendube on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:00 pm

So glad to know that I've been doing the right thing inadvertantly. I have a power strip that I have my sewing machine, Ott light and iron plugged into. I have always turned it on and off because of the iron. I just figured I could never leave it on accidentally that way.

I had a hard time finding lightbulbs for my machine. One of my two dealers couldn't even find one anymore. Some dealer, huh? I found and ordered 3 bulbs from a website (which I can't seem to find now, sorry.) I think I just entered the bulb type in "search". My sewing machine takes two bulbs and the one blew out after 5 or 6 years of use, I think.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Shellymoon on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Last time I bought a light bulb for one of my machines it set me back all of $3. I wish I'd bought a spare to keep on hand.
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

Next

Return to Sewing Machines