Vintage Singer Creative Touch 1036

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Vintage Singer Creative Touch 1036

New postby Bama on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:05 pm

A friend of mine asked me if I had gotten my Brother machine back from the repairman (been in for repairs for a month now :roll: and was told yesterday they're still waiting for the part) and when I said no she told me I could have her old machine that she was about to take to the Goodwill. :dance: She just got a new Bernina. The old machine had belonged to her grandmother and she said she would rather give it to someone she knows anyway. :angel:
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. DH put the machine in the garage until I can make space for it in my sewing room. It's in a HEAVY cabinet. I'm excited that there's a few embroidery stitches on it because that's why I'm missing my Brother machine so much.
The manual is lost, but I found several online. I also found some info on how to wind the bobbin. It's very different than any machine I've ever used. The bobbin is wound in the bobbin case. :think: http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagram ... iagram.htm

Anyone know anything else about this this machine?
Last edited by Bama on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

Re: Vintage Singer Touch and Go 1036

New postby lendube on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 pm

How fun for you! How old is it? Lucky you've got the room for it.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Bama on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:57 pm

My friend said she thinks it's from the 70's. Not really that old, but vintage compared to today's sewing machines. ;) And the cabinet is very 70's looking. I hope to try it out later today. She had the accessories box with several presser feet and about a dozen bobbins. They're wider than any bobbins I've seen before and have a line to show you where to stop loading the thread.
Bama

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:32 pm

My old Singer was a Golden touch and sew, and the bobbin was wound just like that.
I miss that machine, It always worked, and had few problems.
I had it in a sewing cabinet made from wood, made for that machine.
I bought it when I got done with my school after high school.
I sold it when my mom passed away, and I got her new machine she had,, it is a New home I think..
I don't hardly use it now, that I have my Brother that sews and embroiders.
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

Re: Vintage Singer Creative Touch 1036

New postby Bama on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Okay, after opening the whole sewing cabinet and looking over the machine a little bit, it's a Singer Creative Touch Fashion Machine 1036. Not a Touch and Go like my friend thought. (I'll edit my subject line ;) now)
I googled it and found out it was made between 1979-1982. Not as old as we thought it might be. Looks like a great machine tho. It's mostly metal (except the top part that opens). VERY heavy with the cabinet and all. I still haven't plugged it in yet, but had to go have a better look at it. :anxious:
Bama

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Sounds wonderful, Lori. There's a yahoo group with a lot more information on Singer vintage (yes it is vintage) machines. Hope you have fun with it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks Marty. I'll try to check out the yahoo group.
I got a space along one wall cleaned out in the sewing room to put the machine, but now hubby is in his workshop building a TV stand for the TV in his shop. The cabinet is way too heavy for DD to try and help me move it. It will have to either come up the front steps or be carried from the basement up the stairs. :eh: I don't know why DH and his friend put it in the garage. :roll: It could have waited in the living room just as easily and I could have moved it myself the way I move most things like that. Put a blanket underneath it and pull it across the hardwood floor. :D
Bama

New postby momquilts on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Bama, is that the machine that takes the cams in the top to make the decorative stitches? That sounds like the machine my dad bought for me when I learned to sew in 6th grade. That machine was/is a tank. It still sits in its large wooden cabinet in my parents house. I think they want me to take it but I really have no where to put it. It is in their basement which is partially finished and moisture controlled. My basement is damp and would ruin the cabinet for sure.

Have fun exploring your new toy.
Pam
momquilts

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 pm

:dance: Glad you have a new toy to play with while waiting for your machine to be fixed. Enjoy! :applause:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Sew-Classic on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:50 pm

These machines have plastic gears that are nearing the end of their life span. Enjoy and use it, but don't invest alot of money into it. If the gears don't get you the timing belt will enventually stretch out. This is a complex and expensive job to repair.
Sew-Classic

Next

Return to Sewing Machines