Wasting time on Pinterest

Chat with your friends on SWU - this board is for non-sewing related posts.

Wasting time on Pinterest

New postby sewhappyrtr on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:51 am

Does anyone else find them selves wasting time on this site just looking at things before you know it hours have passed ?
I just can't seem to get my act together right now... I have things to do... wash windows.. wash wood floors... clean/shampoo carpets.. etc.. but I just waste away my days doing the basics and then.. working at night with hubby for 4 hrs. and then coming home.. watching tv and then sleeping and then the next day doing it all over again... HELP.. I need to break out of this rut!!!!!
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

Re: Wasting time on Pinterest

New postby missfleecy on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 am

I recommend using LeechBlock. It lets you set a schedule for when you can visit certain sites, or automatically block them if you've been using them for more than a length of time you specify. It's too easy to get sucked into things otherwise and lose track of time.

~ Miss Fleecy :hand:
missfleecy

New postby neefer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 am

Are you doing anything that you want to do? What are your pleasureable activities?

I am betting that you are doing so little that you enjoy that in total desparation, you head for Pinterest or the TV.

I recommend making a list of activities that you enjoy and taping it to the computer screen so that when you go to surf, you will see the list. If you don't want to surf, pick something from the list and do it. If the activity refreshes you, and you are ready to face the rest of the things that you have to do, great! If not, it's possible that the activity was not truly a pleasureable activity or that you still need more.
Jennifer in Livermore

Bonny lass, bonny lass, will you be mine?
You shall neither wash dishes nor serve the wine;
But sit on a cushion and sew a fine seam,
And feast upon strawberries, sugar, and cream.
neefer

New postby sewingmom on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am

Karen, a few months ago I began to evaluate why I wasn't getting much done especially my love/ sewing or keeping my home clean. I had a physical and discovered a heart problem. The little beta blocker that I take made me feel much better in a week or two and 3 months later I noticed some pep in my step that hadn't been there for a while. I also closed my Facebook account. I had deluded myself into thinking I would have been on the computer anyway so why not have FB on it to keep up with friends and family. I was spending hours there. Now I am sewing more and enjoying it gain. I am trying to limit my time here but if I don't have more success staying away, I will do something like quitting here or just visiting when I have a question. The housecleaning is getting done more and better. I let the housekeeper go and my good frind comes every other week to help with some reorganizing and have lunch and play a little. (I help her on the opposite week) I am too embarressed for her to see my house really dirty so I am motivated to clean more. I also asked DH to vacuumn one room a day four of the days of the week. If I want baseboards and corners cleaned good I must use a broom and sweep them the morning before he cleans that room. If I want him to clean an inaccessable area, I must make it accessable.(I have repeditive strain injuries that cause me pain when I vacuum carpet) I also looked at my eating habits and my diet was heavly laden with carbohydrates. I have lost 13 lbs and intend to trim at least 10 more. I have got to get a better handle on the diet. I still want to feast at bedtime. I have requuired less sleep than I did for a while and must stay after myself to get enough or I come unglued.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Almost everyone that I know that uses Pinterest spends hours on it. I started to use it, then after realizing how time consuming it was, cancelled it. I limit myself to 1 hour after supper, for this and FB. If I'm designing a quilt top or embroidering then I use the computer but other than writing letters, I try to keep off of it. It can be a huge time waster that's for sure. And I found once I started limiting myself to time online, I got motivated to do other things.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Karen, I go to Pinterest every so often. I don't find a lot that interests me on the boards. I would rather spend my time sewing than doing anything else. When I'm resting, I'm on the computer. Right now, I have over 2K emails waiting to be read. Just haven't been on the computer much lately.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:29 am

I love pinterest. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time when I'm on it because I'm usually looking for something specific. Good way to keep links/ideas in one place and easier for me to find them again than just bookmarking them.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby vickki on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I only use the computer just before I go to bed or else I could get bogged down and spend all my time here...I do my house work in the morning,sew after, then in the evening after dinner is cleared up I knit,write or read....Have to stick to this plan....
vickki

New postby temom on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 pm

neefer wrote:Are you doing anything that you want to do? What are your pleasureable activities?

I am betting that you are doing so little that you enjoy that in total desparation, you head for Pinterest or the TV.

I recommend making a list of activities that you enjoy and taping it to the computer screen so that when you go to surf, you will see the list. If you don't want to surf, pick something from the list and do it. If the activity refreshes you, and you are ready to face the rest of the things that you have to do, great! If not, it's possible that the activity was not truly a pleasureable activity or that you still need more.

Jennifer, this is great advice. I need to do this. Thanks!
Theresa
temom

New postby sewhappyrtr on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Yesterday I actually gave our house a good cleaning!!! washed windows, got caught up on laundry and put it away!! :D :D
washed the vertical blinds with hubby's help and dusted the longeberger baskets that reside on top of the valance and generally made the house look a whole lot better!!! :D :D :D
I felt so much more productive, but ya know it actually was a very bright sun shiny day so I think that helped with my out look!!
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

Return to Take a break