Help with sewing bathing suit

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Help with sewing bathing suit

New postby IloveGod on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Hello everybody!

Hope you all are having a great Sunday!

I would like to know if anyone knows how to prevent from cover stitch from getting stuck in the feed dogs of the serger. I am sewing a bathing suit with lycra spandex and everything was going great until I had to cover stitch the elastic that goes around the leg openings. It constantly gets stuck in the feed dogs of the serger and it does not feed smoothly. Please help. I like to cover stitch with my serger because it usually does a great job.
Thank you and have a blessed day!
Pat
IloveGod

Re: Help with sewing bathing suit

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi Pat!!! Welcome to the group. When I use a coverhem on a very stretchy fabric, I use a wash away embroidery stabilizer. I also use wash-a-way Wonder Tape (double sided fusible) to hold the hem in place. It works great and rinses out easily.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Help with sewing bathing suit

New postby Skye on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Couple of things- try reducing the foot pressure on your serger.
My older serger used to whizz thru lycra and it made all my DD swimwear and dance unitards etc . Then I started to have problems with lycra feeding thru'. Turned ou that my back feeddogs were worn and it was going to cost a few $100 to repair so I invested in a new serger. My old one still works great on wovens and cotten stretch just not stretchy lycra - go figure.
I personally dont use my coverstitch on swimwear or underwear I prefer to use either the triple zigzag Has 3 straight stiches on each zig and zag) or serpentine stich on my sewing machine. IMO these stitches are less like to pop when stretched to the max.

And while I am on a roll for actually stitching activewear etc I love the stretch wrap stitch on my serger. It is a 3 three thread stitch using 2 needles and lower looper . The upper looper is covered by a wee convertor gizmo or disabled (newer models).
Skye

Return to Introduce Yourself