Newbie Saying Hello

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Newbie Saying Hello

New postby DollBaby323 on Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi. My name is Brianna. I'm a stay-at-home Army wife/homeschooling mom. I'm somewhat new to the sewing world...took two years of Home Ec about 15 years ago of which all I remembered was how to properly put the bobbin in (which was better than nothing I guess). My mom got me a sewing machine for Christmas a year and a half ago because I was pregnant with out daughter who is now 10 months old. We have a soon to be 4 year old boy who sort of started me back into sewing. I hand stitched a quilt when he was a baby (the reason mom got me a machine for the girl) and I made a few costumes for Halloween and a couple trips to Disney World. I'm excited to learn more. I've enjoyed making a few dresses for our daughter and my next goal is to learn how to make button down shirts for our son.

His is my favorite thing I've made for our daughter so far...

DollBaby323

Re: Newbie Saying Hello

New postby MartySews2 on Tue May 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Welcome, Brianna!!! That is a lovely dress for your daughter. You did a great job on it. :applause: :applause: :applause: Hope you will continue to share pics of your projects. I'm in Memphis, TN & have been sewing for over 50 yrs (since around age 7). We're so glad that you have decided to join our forum.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Tue May 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Welcome Brianna from western Canada! The dress is adorable!!! Glad to have you join us, jump in anywhere. We have sewers of all ages from beginners to professionals. A great place to learn, visit and have fun.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby pinecone on Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Welcome to our play ground! I have a granddaughter 10 months old. It is fun to play with fabric for the little ones. did you design the dress for your DD?

piney
pinecone

New postby temom on Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Brianna, and welcome! That dress is CUTE! I can see how it would be the favorite!
I started sewing when my daughter was 4 or so, and now she is already 11! Oh my, can it really be true??

Have fun sewing, and feel free to join in any of the threads. We have a fantastic group of people here, and they are super helpful and supportive. Anymore when I am sewing, I will think of the things I've learned from the people here, and actually say it in my mind "Dorothy said the double notches go in the back", or "Libby says to reinforce knit hems with steam a seam". Before you know it, you will be doing the same thing.
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Brianna, Welcome from way down in the Golden State. That dress is so cute. I think you're incredibly ambitious making your own patterns. Sounds like you could go far with your sewing. Does your Mom sew? Is your dd Elizabeth like mine? Hope to see you here on the board often.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Tue May 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Welcome sewing friend.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 am

Welcome, we are glad you found us.. That dress is totally wonderful ! ! I really love it.. I am probably the senior of the crowd on here. I will be 78 next month, and started out sewing in Home Ec years ago in school. Didn't care much for it then, (bad teacher). But later, as an adult rented a sewing machine for 3 months from Singer (another story) and that started my lifelong hobby. I sew a lot in my retirement years, some for family and some for charity, but never for pay. That would take all the fun out of it. Too much like having a boss again. LOL. I do a lot of crafty items and sell those on a regular basis. Anyway, glad you are here, and that dress is GREAT! !
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby DollBaby323 on Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for all the warm welcome and all the kind words. I would have hopped back on here sooner but this week's been a bit crazy. Looking forward to the three day weekend and maybe getting a little sewing done!

lendube wrote:Hi Brianna, Welcome from way down in the Golden State. That dress is so cute. I think you're incredibly ambitious making your own patterns. Sounds like you could go far with your sewing. Does your Mom sew? Is your dd Elizabeth like mine? Hope to see you here on the board often.

My mom doesn't sew. I have a HUGE family (64 first cousins to give you some reference) and to my knowledge, it's just me, one cousin (also married to a soldier so we never live anywhere near each other) and my GG (lives about 10 hours away) who sew but it's fun to snap a shot of something we make with our phones and text it out.

And yes, E stands for Elizabeth...she's our little doll.
DollBaby323

Return to Introduce Yourself