Mom left behind a Singer Serger Ultralock 14U32

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Mom left behind a Singer Serger Ultralock 14U32

New postby LiLisLovelys on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:21 pm

My Mother passed 2 years back and was a designer and seamstress.. I never picked it up (due to a sewing accident - I sewed my Thumb) until she passed. Always loved her designs. So I took on her sewing machine, started with repairs, upgraded to pillows and baby blankets, and now I found her Serger. It looks terrifying.. But my sister says its great for Drapes. I'm in Texas she's in Illinois. I would love to learn what it's used for and how to use it. But first, what is a Serger commonly used for? Can some kind person take the time to explain a few things? Greatly Appreciate it.... LiLi :lol:
LiLisLovelys

Re: Mom left behind a Singer Serger Ultralock 14U32

New postby lendube on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi LiLi and welcome. We have a few ladies from big ol' Texas.

I never knew how much I would love a serger till I got one. It's predominately used for finishing seams neatly and easily. It trims and finishes in one step. If you look at most ready to wear clothing you'll see the seams are serged. But there are many, many uses for a serger. Since your mother was an accomplished seamstress I would not be surprised if this serger also has the coverstitch function. This is the hem on almost every t-shirt you'll find. I'd suggest you first go to the Singer website and find everything you can on this particular serger. They'll probably have videos, etc. Then go to youtube.com and enter something like "serging techniques" and you'll find an absolute wealth of information. Start with the basics and go from there. Pillowcases are a fun first project for a serger. Don't be intimidated and always know you can come here for help. Someone might even have the same machine as you. Btw, what type of sewing machine do you have from your mom?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby temom on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi LiLisLovelys, and Welcome!

This is a great place to ask questions, as everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

I have a simple serger, so my knowledge is based on that.

Basically, a serger sews, trims, and finishes the seam in one step. Have you ever sewed something on a regular machine and then have the edges of the seam fray? A serger keeps that from happening. If you look at the seams of a Tee shirt, those are serged seams. Sergers go incredibly fast, and stitch around 1500 stitches per minute. You can do different types of seams with a serger. The most common are the 3 thread overlock and the 4 thread overlock. Those would be the Tee shirt seams, the difference being if just one needle is used or both. Then there are rolled hems, flat lock seams, blind hems, and probably a whole lot more.

The hardest part of a serger is learning how to thread it. It looks really complicated, but it isn't. What you need to remember is that there is a certain order to threading it, and no matter what, it won't work if you thread it out of order. When I got my serger, I watched a video on how to thread it, and then did it over and over and over until I could do it without thinking. I also took an ultra fine marker and marked the order of the threading on the machine itself.

I bought Nancy Zieman's book Serge With Confidence, and that was a huge help to me. You should be able to get it at the library.
If you don't have a manual for your machine, get one. Do a google search and then order it from the internet. Then you just experiment. You will probably break a few needles and say a few colorful words, but in the end you will love it. Start with simple, quick projects, and build from there. And when you get stuck, just ask here. Even if we don't have the answer, we can certainly sympathize with you!

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm

HI and welcome! You got some great info already, so I just wanted to say welcome, and hope to see you around on the boards.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 am

Hi LiLi, welcome to the group. Hope you will join in on the chatter & share pics of your projects. Sergers are wonderful tools for the sewing room. It makes sewing quicker & easier but does have a learning curve. You can probably get a manual for your serger from this site. http://www.sewingmanualsonline.com/sing ... spx?page=2 Threading order of a serger is upper looper, lower looper, left needle, right needle. Try using 4 different serger cones of different colors so you can see how the different parts work & the stitches are formed. One of the best beginner books is "The ABC's of Sergers". You can probably find it at your local library & I know that it is on Amazon.com. I buy Maxi-Lock serger thread usually from Atlanta Thread Suppy or Sew True. Today & tomorrow, Sew True is offering serger thread at $2 a cone & free shipping. It's a good deal. A cone of thread will last a long, long time. Ask all of the questions that you need to ask & I'm sure that someone will help you. I use my sergers (have 2) on almost every sewing project that I do. It's much like using a microwave when cooking. It enhances the process & saves time. Enjoy!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:16 am

Just wanted to welcome you to our group. :)
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:41 pm

LILI , welcome, I have an old serger that does not have a lot of bells and whistles.. It is over 20 years old and still going strong. I love my serger.. I have grandchildren, so between them , my 2 sons, and myself I make tons of tees. So, several years ago , I broke down and got a coverhem machine because my serger is old and does not have that capability. It was a good move. I use maxi lock serger thread on mine all the time. When I do decorative edging such as on babies receiving blankets, I use wooly nylon by the YLI co. As Marty suggested maxi lock , I wanted you to know most people on this site use that brand. American Efird Mills makes Maxi Lock and they are headquartered in a small town just 10 miles form here. I started out with samples from a friend who works there, but after I tried another brand, I went back to Maxi Lock only.. I use my serger for Baby Bibs from fingertio towels, receiving blankets, tees, pillowcases, and childrens sportswear, all of these items are made mostly on the serger. and I also do seam finishing on my garment sewing for myself.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Introduce Yourself