Ruching on midriff of wedding dress

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Ruching on midriff of wedding dress

New postby Mika on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi,

My name is Rosemarie and I live in East Anglia, England.

I am making my wedding dress and googled 'how to ruche a waist' and it led me to this site. A lady had photos posted of herself in a purple dress with a lovely ruched waist and I am asking for tips on how to do mine.

The material I am using is satin with a lovely lacey layer on top which is quite highly decorated with little seed beads in places and I have an idea of how to ruche the top layer over the satin layer but wondered if anyone has any good tips? I have been using a pattern which I have had to adapt which does not show this detail.

Thank you very much.
Mika

Re: Ruching on midriff of wedding dress

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Rosemarie & welcome to the group. The few times that I have done ruching is to gather a wide band of fabric on each side seam. I don't know how that would translate into your pattern but this is how I ruche a waist in a dress. Here is a link for a tutorial http://www.roserushbrooke.com/how-to-ruche.html
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Magot on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi Rosemarie, welcome to the site - if anybody knows these gals and guys do!
Sorry I have no tips for you just wanted to great a fellow East Anglian!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:44 pm

Rosemarie, I used to have a pattern with this feature. It had great instructions that were so simple but worked so well ! ! Here is how they instructed me to do it. cut the foundation pieces, and then cut the top layer (to be ruched) on the bias and about 1 inch shorter for the front and 1 inch shorter for the back. run a basting thread inside the seam line and gather top layer, then attach the top layer to the foundation layer and proceed with dress construction. This always worked for me. The bias layer always gathered so prettily and there was never any sagging on the ruched area.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Sewing Lady on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Rosemarie!

I would cut the midriff piece and use it as my base. I always use the base of gathers of 1.5 to 2.5 ratio for adding length to the overlay. I would also, cut the overlay on the bias. Use clear thread to hand baste the gathers thru the center of the garment piece.

Hi everybody!! I've been so busy with work that I haven't been able to stop by. I hope everyone is well. Hope to be able to post again soon.

L
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby Mika on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Thank you everyone who replied to my enquiry. Have managed to finish the dress so appreciate the responses.

Best wishes,

Rosie
Mika

Return to Introduce Yourself