blackie's on board!

New here? Stop in and say hello!

blackie's on board!

New postby kellyhogaboom on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:09 pm

This is Kelly, previously blackie on S-W-N. In recent years I have been kellyhogaboom *everywhere* so for this new site migration I thought I'd switch to my (these days) more typical moniker.

First, I am so sad S-W-N shut down. That site was / is my favorite site. It wasn't just the sewing expertise, it was the kindness, friendliness, and joy those members brought to the group. Thank you once again to Mary for running the site for so long.

Secondly, I am so, so thrilled the girls have stepped up to run a new site! And I'm happy to see so many members from S-W-N jumping right over.

For those who don't know me (or those who sort of know me), I put up a biography on my Profile page. I am 30, married (six years next Saturday) to Ralph, a computer nerd / Systems Analyst at the local community college. We have two children, Sophie age 5 and Nels age 3. We are doing the single income / stay at home parent thing! It's so much fun although now and then my water gets shut off or I have to get very creative with coming up with grocery money. I have a degree in chemical engineering / paper science engineering from University of Washington in Seattle. So yes, I guess I am a brainy nerd too. We moved back to my hometown in March, for Ralph's job but also to be closer to my FOO (by that I mean my mom, dad, and brother - I call them my FOO for "family of origin"); my father has metatastic cancer so I'm hoping to spend time near him as much as I can. Currently my favorite things to do are learning to cook something new (Ralph and I are putting up videos at I'm Cooked), go to the library with the kids, and spend time with family / FOO. I am also starting a DIY zine here but kind of struggling with the content for now.

As for sewing, it's one of my favorite hobbies, ever. My mom taught me how to sew as a young girl, but I put it aside until after my first child was born. Gradually I started sewing and now I can't live well without it. Sadly, I am without a machine right now and it's driving me nuts. I have my mom's at my house to borrow but it's not quite the same. I am being kind of, um, witchy lately because I feel like I don't get any personal time (read: sewing time). I am hoping to somehow buy a new machine but haven't figured out how yet (sell one of our cars?).

Well, not sure if anyone's read this far. Anyway, I look forward to participating in the new site. Here are some pictures of my family:

Me:

My husband, Ralph:

Bagels I made the other day! Successfully. Sophie (aka "Bagel Weasel" is grabbing one prematurely):

Our new kitten, Harris (our cat Blackie currently is angry and not coming home much lately - no picture of her today):

OK - let's get sewing! (and talking about all things sewing-related!)
kellyhogaboom

Re: blackie's on board!

New postby lendube on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:02 pm

Hey Blackie, er ah, Kelly,
I was reading the profile first and thought I've read about this person before. I had no idea it was you till I got to the kids and where you lived. :lol: I spent ages 10-34 in Seal Beach and Long Beach. I spent many a summer day in Huntington, Sunset, Long and Seal Beaches. After traveling a bit I've realized that those are some of the best "beachy" beaches around if you know what I mean. Wide, wide with all the beach culture you'd want. So happy to see you here. It's slow today.......Usually this board is hopping. Look forward to your creations. :applause:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Joni Lowe on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi Kelly/Blackie/Nel's mom, it's good to see you here at the new site. I always enjoyed reading your posts over at SWN, always admired your quick wit and intellect. Joni :D
Joni Lowe

New postby Sancin on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:38 pm

Glad to see you here, Kelly. I also have always enjoyed your posts. And I have always been a little envious of someone who lived in Port Townsend, though I can understand your move. I admire your enjoyment of staying home. I stayed at home for only a short period of time during which I was not well and we moved a number of times. Once everything settled I only enjoyed full time homemaking about 1/2 the time. I love reading about your adventures. Now that I retired I marvel that I was even able to do a 1/4 of what I used to. :o
Enjoy!
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby DorothyL on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:22 am

I, too, am glad to see you, Kelly. I was a bit concerned we lost you out there in computer land but here you are and all is well.
DorothyL

New postby Magot on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:14 am

Welcome Honeybun!

I am looking forward to more corsetry in the future!
The link on your blog is broken so it was hard to get in contact - there was a link you posted in the sewing section as well but that didn't work either. I am glad someone found you - I had resorted to posting a comment on the corset log...

The vid of your kitten is so cute.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby AndreaSews on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Good to have you back, Kelly
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Welcome Blackie AKA Kelly...
Glad to see you made it .. A lot of the regulars from the old SWN site are here.. Love the pix..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Brenisback on Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:00 am

Hey Kellie... glad your back here...I am the one who gave you potholder plans to teach your Class ...do you remember me...LOL...read your intro...how is your dad?
Brenda

People come into your life ...for a Reason a Season or a Lifetime.
Brenisback

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi Kelly,
I do love reading your two blogs and try to check in every few days. Sorry about your not having a sewing machine at present. That must be a bummer. Glad to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor. This fall I've sent my one and only child off to college about 100 miles away. Now, I have plenty of "me" time. DH tells me to enjoy myself and not to worry about housework. Therefore, I sleep a lot and sew or think about sewing, reading about sewing, or do hand embroidery. It fills my days since I retired 7 years ago. :dance:
Marty
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Introduce Yourself