Hi! My name is Kane-and I need HELP!

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Hi! My name is Kane-and I need HELP!

New postby gypsykane on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:36 am

I have sewn, by hand or machine, even a treadle Singer, since I was 8 yrs old--used to buy patterns at the local 5 & dime for my Betsy McCall dolls (that should give you a huge clue as to how old I am!) One of the greatest moments in my life was when I had earned enough to buy a Bernina! I still have that machine, an 830, have moved on to a fancier one, but always go back to that one. Have enjoyed embroidery, knitting, crocheting, anything to keep my hands busy, because I feel it is so important to keep the "old" hand-crafts alive. More recently I have begun dyeing my own fabric to create bags and such but we won't go into that here. the issue I am having involves a long formal polyester dress to which I am adding embroidery, beads and sequins...the fabric is so slippery with a stretch that I quickly realized I needed to use a backing. That is the question I have-what kind of backing/stabilizer/interfacing. I went to Joann's where I was not given much help, I ended up buying this paper-like stabilizer which tears away but it is soooo stiff, it is making working with the fabric even more challenging...I hesitate to use something that needs to be ironed on, only because of the potential for wrinkly fabric...but I think there has to be something out there that would mold with the fabric yet give the support so the beads and sequins and embroidery would behave...so what are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing some advice so I can move forward...I have to have this dress done by Jan 15...thank you in advance for the help!
gypsykane

Re: Hi! My name is Kane-and I need HELP!

New postby lendube on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Kane, I'm sorry I can't help you with that. Don't do much fancy sewing. I guess my inclination would be to use something like Soft 'n Sheer that's used for machine embroidery. It's very lightweight but will stabilize.

Someone will know. I really just wanted to say HI and welcome you to the board. HI! :D
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Sewing Lady on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:28 pm

I don't machine embroidery yet.. but I think that I would use a tearaway stabilizer just to make things behave while stitching. I bead on toule and don't use anything underneath the beadwork.

Oh, BTW, Hi and welcome. I think that we are all just busy with the Holidays. Keep coming around we like new faces. :dance:
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi Kane, welcome to the group. For a stretchy material, I recommend a poly-mesh stabilizer. It is soft, won't tear under the stitches and they will be more pliable. Here is a good link with info on the different types of stabilizers http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00128.asp Hope this helps.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:19 pm

There are desolving stabilizers. I use them ontop of fleece and use a sticky back tear away in the hoop. The only problem is that your fabric has to be wet to desolve it. I used it on some black sheer nylon and it desolved fine but, it left a film like ( pardon me) "dried snot". I had to wash it with mild soap to get it out. In another color it might not be noticable. On a stretchy fabric, I would put the sticky stabilizer in the hoop. lay the fashion fabric on the hoop but not in the hoop. If the stretchy fabric is thick then lay clear desolving stabilizeror light tear away stabilizer on top. This is my only slightly experienced opinion. I know we have more experienced embroiderers here.
sewingmom

New postby sewingmom on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:50 am

Kane, did you find the help you needed??? I thought I'd post to bring this back to the new posts list. Perhaps the more experienced of the crew will see it and give you an answere. I hope to get to swee pictures of your creation after its finished.
sewingmom

New postby gypsykane on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:12 pm

thanks everybody for your great hints on how to tackle this problem...I am hand sewing all these beads and sequins and have found using the tear away stabilizer is creating the best end product, not a bubbly fabric...I will send pictures of the finished product when I get done. Thanks again for all your thoughtful responses! Holiday blessings to you all!
gypsykane

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:13 am

I just wanted to say "Welcome!" Glad to hear the dress is going well - I can't wait to see pictures! :)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:13 pm

"better late than never".. Sorry I just saw this .. I have used a product called knit-fuse with great satisfaction on all kinds of stretchy fabrics. It comes in beige, black or white .. It is an iron on but it is very easy to use.. Try some and then you will know about it for next time.. BTW -- welcome to the site.. we are glad you are here.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Libby, Knit-Fuse and Fusi-knit are interfacings not machine embroidery stabilizers. Two very different type of products with different uses. I'm surprised your machine embroidery stays in place and doesn't get distorted using an interfacing instead of a stabilizer.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Introduce Yourself