New Kid on the block

New here? Stop in and say hello!

New Kid on the block

New postby lucena0107 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:29 pm

hello everyone. I'm from california and sewed off and on for about 10 years. Took several classes in college on pattern drafting, but it wasn't really what I thought it was. i wanted to learn how to draft a pattern using my measuements. Do you all know where I can purchase a CD or video that shows you how to draft step bt step?
Nicole
lucena0107

Re: New Kid on the block

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:33 pm

Welcome! I hope you'll make yourself at home here. I don't know anything about pattern drafting, but I think a few around here do. Hopefully they can help!

By the way, if you're looking for your post about Dusan Mrak pattern templates, I moved it to the "General Sewing" forum. :)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Reta J on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:48 am

Welcome to the boards.
Sewing Forever
Housework Whenever
Reta J
Reta J

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 am

Welcome Nicole. PatternMasterBoutique is pattern drafting software from http://www.wildginger.com is designed for the home seamstress. Not affliated with this company. Have seen some demos and know several folks in real life who use it. They do have a free 30 day download. There are others on the market too.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Here_Fishey on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:25 am

Welcome Nicole,

I am one of the people here that use the Pattern Master Boutique software. As far as I can tell, it works really well. As with any software, there is a learning curve. You also need to be able to sew up a pattern without any sewing directions, as these are "self-drafted" patterns, there are no directions. I suggest that if you go this way, to purchase a general purpose sewing book for reference. I use both Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing Step-by-Step (an oldie, but it can still sometimes be found on amazon) and Singer's The complete Sewing Reference. If you can, have someone help you to measure yourself. I had to measure myself, and I am still trying to get some of the measurements correct. I just finished a muslin for a pair of slacks, that if the fabric was not so horrid, I could actually wear out in public, and this was the first run for this style.

Ruby
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby lendube on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:14 pm

Welcome, Nicole, from a fellow Californian. I'm about as far south as you can get. What general area are you in if you don't mind asking. For such a large state there aren't too many of us here on the board. Hope to see you around.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Sewing Lady on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:44 pm

Welcome Nicole, I too own the Wild Ginger software. I have almost all of the programs that they offer. I use them often to sew for clients. If you do have pattern drafting skills, then with a little work you can do anything that you want with the programs. There are still some little kinky type things that it won't do or that I just haven't figured out how to make it do it yet. I do a lot of custom formal wear and some not so formal wear for many clients. The have free demos to download. These free demos will do everything that the program does, except save and print the patterns that you draft. I am not affiliated with them either, but do believe in the product. The online help in their forums is priceless.

Again, welcome and enjoy being part of a wonderful group of sewers, but watch out for the ladies on the dark side. :whistle:
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby vickki on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Welcpme from Canada...
vickki

New postby momquilts on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Grease had it's Pink Ladies....Sew What's Up has their Dark Side Ladies....what can I say? Don't try to tarnish our reputation :twisted: , we can do that ourselves.
momquilts

New postby Sewing Lady on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry Momquilts, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I have crossed over to the dark side a time or two myself. I did make the DGS a quilt last year. We all can go there. Love you all. :dance:
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself