Hi, I'm Paroper

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Hi, I'm Paroper

New postby paroper on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:53 am

I'm an Okie. My husband and I were high school sweethearts and married my last sememster of college. We've been married 34 years this Sept but didn't figure out the "kid thing" for many years of our marriage. I have 3 children, a girl, 23 who is a respiratory therapist and has a 5 yr old. I babysit her 5 yr old but right now she is out of state so I'm caring for her child 24/7 until she returns in December or so. When she returns, she'll stay with us until she finds housing...so I'm starting to thing of getting ready for her return. I have G/B twins who are 19. My son is working as an apprentice electrician. He still comes home every evening, leaves his laundry, raids the fridge, takes a nap and then spends the evening with his best friend whose father died and the family split up, leaving him a house trailer. My baby girl is a sophomore at Oklahoma State (GO POKES). She plays in the OSU Band (watch for her) and is in student government.

I"m an Okie, born and raised. My parents were big travelers, right after school was out each year so I've been all over the US, Canada and Mexico. After I left home and mom retired from teaching, they traveled internationally.

My grandmother was a big quilter and did all kinds of hand work and sewing. Her house was one room and there was a huge quilting loom that would hang from the ceiling. She taught me to do some hand work but I couldn't teach me to sew. My mother was wonderful at copying garments from the store although she never sewed for herself. I spent a lot of time threading needles when I was little but no one seemed to be able to teach me to sew until I went to high school. I majored in home ec with emphasis in clothing construction while in college. I graduated with a teaching degree but soon found that home ec was where some schools "dumped" the problem kids (boy and girl). I was disappointed, so I left teaching and went to private industry. I managed a day care for a while, did some "selling" but ended up working for a major car rental company for several years. Eventually I got into running comparative marketing programs on demand for them and worked with people from all over the world helping in forcasting rentals. I loved my work. When my twins were 4 1/2 the youngest dug a hole under the back fence of the daycare and ran away while her brother ran along the inside of the fence cheering her on. She made it about a city block away until she had to cross the highway (she wasn't allowed to cross the street so she didn't know what to do). That's where they caught her. I decided it was time to leave work and take care of my children.

When I left work, I started a home sewing business which I did for 7 years until my mother became too ill with Parkinsons and needed my full time assistance. My family left our farm and home of 24 years and moved in with her and I gave up my business. My mother is gone now and I'm still in the family home, 2 miles from our farm.

I do a lot of sewing of all kinds and I enjoy machine embroidery. I do not quilt but I also knit and crochet and do some cross stitch and embroidery. I enjoy reading, play piano, occasionally play the flute. We have 3 parrots, a blue and gold maccaw (Gitcha), yellow naped Amazon (Jerry), and an African Gray (Gabby). We also have a Schnauzer (Abby), we care for my grand dog who is an English Bull Dog (Maggie) and for Mothers' Day, my husband gave me a foundling bassett puppy, (Cleo). Life is loud and interesting in our house.
pam

Bernina 200e, Artista V5 Designer Plus, Explorations, Magic Box, Bernina 2000DE & 335 Bernette Serger, Bernina 1530 Sewing Machine, Bernina 1300 DC Overlock (with coverstitch)
paroper

Re: Hi, I'm Paroper

New postby temom on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Wow, Pam - what a wonderful introduction. I can certainly understand that life is intersting and loud at your house!
Theresa
temom

New postby PaulineG on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53 pm

We've all known each other so long and yet there are still surprises to be had.
Pauline
PaulineG

New postby Bama on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:58 pm

I love reading all of these posts. :)
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby lendube on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks for that, Pam. Sounds like a pretty good life so far.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Upholsteress on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:47 pm

Pam! You FLUTE??? :D YIPPEEE!!! we shall do duets together! :) LOL! (I need all the help I can get!!!)
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey! I play the flute too. I haven't gotten mine out in several months though. It's probably in need of repairs, but I've been putting off taking it in... :?

Pam, I must say I envy you and your parrots! I love birds, but there's no way DH would put up with the noise. The dog is pretty noisy sometimes, but I guess she makes up for it in cuteness (DH doesn't find birds to be very cute ;) ).
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Upholsteress on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:34 am

Kewl! We are on our way to a flute choir! Woohoo!!!
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi Pam, glad to see you made it over the "fence" to the new site. Life has been busy for the last couple of months so I haven't been posting often. I loved reading your "life" story. Sounds quite adventurous. Good to have you here.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Introduce Yourself