NEWBIE Never sewed anything

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Re: NEWBIE Never sewed anything

New postby Upholsteress on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the board! For car upholstery you'll need a heavy duty machine. What is the model number on yours?

I can point you to some upholstery sites that will have a TON of information for you... just use the search features and don't be afraid to ask questions. Check out http://www.carrscorner.com/yabbse/index.php, it is a pro site... then there is another public site at http://www.get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php

Hope this helps some :)
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby kaitlinnegan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:57 am

Welcome Bob! I don't know a thing about upholstering, and my only attempt at home dec sewing so far has resulted in many tears of frustration, but luckily we have a great variety of sewists here. :) I'll be interested to see your projects!

~Kaitlin
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby bridesmom on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 am

Always great to have a new face on board!! I don't do upholstery, but I have a DH who loves old cars!!
Welcome!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Bob1942 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:34 pm

NEWBIE UPDATE ... First thank you ! Everyone for all the help and encouragement ... I got the manual downloaded from
http://www.sewconsult.com They have manuals for many machines cost was 8 dollars to download a manual I paid for it on Pay pal and had it in my email the same day ... I printed it out 52 pages ...The machine I have is a SEARS/Kenmore 158-19141 I am guessing 1985 vintage ...
The manual showed me how to oil, setup and adjust the machine and it works just fine now ! There was so many things I had done wrong with the machine I did not even have the thread going through the top tensioner ! ...NOW I have been able to sew some scraps of thick naugahyde upholstery with it no problem ... I just wanted to let all of you know you were a big help and I appreciate that ... BOB :D :dance:
Bob1942

New postby fabric_addict on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for the update.

Please post pictures of your projects! We'd really love to see them.
fabric_addict

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself